XP Hung on Auto Updates. Now NO C DRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for length of this........a few days ago I set my windows xp to do automatic updates. I think I set it to automatically update whenever I shut the computer down. Today, when i shut down, i get a small screen "Installing 1 of 28 updates". That stayed on for several seconds and then again "Installing 1 of 28 updates". It hung on that so I had to alt-ctrl-del to reboot. Upon reboot it takes me to the screen giving me choices for SAFE MODE BOOT, NORMAL, C PROMPT, LAST SUCCESSFUL, ETC. I choose NORMAL. That takes me to the WinXP logo and seems ok so far......but then it takes me right back to the original screen. I try SAFE MODE and all of the rest of the choices and it takes me back to that same screen. When I select the "SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT" choice, it will give me the A:/ prompt. When i try to use "cd c:\" command I get "invalid drive specification" and I can't switch to a c:/ prompt.

I assume that files are corrupt and I will have to do a RESTORE WINDOWS off my e-machine CD. (My e-machine is several yrs old and the CD does not give any other options except to RESTORE orig emach files without making any backup drive or option to REPAIR) I would loose all my data. grrrrrrrrr

QUESTION:
1. Can I do anything to get back the C drive or at least salvage my data, pics etc. before doing the RESTORE?

2. IF i am not able to fix it...... how much would you think geek patrol would charge to do it? grrrrrrrrrrr again.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
CRASHDUMMY strikes again!

Geek patrol? You mean the Best Buy dudes?

IF they are able to do it, it's going to be a simple matter of sticking it in another computer and setting it to slave mode.

That being said, stick it in another computer, set it to slave mode, and try to access the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back