XP Icon problem!@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I have the weirdest issue with an icon. It annoys me so bad that I've already reformatted my desktop 2x with the same problem coming back. I have no idea why. This happened about 3 mths ago. One of my partitions has the default icon and I try to install programs such as icon packager to change it, with no luck. I've rebuilt the cache using xp power tools I think they are called and still nothing. Hopefully someones got some insight on this, if you do please share, u'll save me from going insane.

See the attached picture.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 10
Create (if it does not already exist) the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ DriveIcons\ X\ DefaultIcon

where 'X' is the drive letter of the drive for which you wish to change the drive icon.
Change the key's default value to hold the fully qualified name of the icon file e.g. c:\windows\system\shell32.dll,?

? is the number of the icon in the folder eg the tenth icon would be 10
To see the affect restart windows - although, depending on the version of windows simply refreshing the window might be sufficient.

If you have your own icons the path would be 'c:\myicons,? '

There is also the AUTORUN.INF method.Both methods described HERE also HERE

1. Antivirus 2.DrvIco

1st, check by a good antivirus whether you have bug (virus) sneaking around or not :suspiciou

2nd. If you don't find a virus, or want to check this first, download that program (it's very very simple) http://www3.telus.net/_/drvico/

Ran Norton, nothing shows up. did the icon changer program while useful it didn't change, it. The key was created already and had default icon then tried to put on a customized icon still nothing ;(

Two things -

1.Look in the root of your c drive ie c:\ and delete any Autorun.inf that might
be there.Then try the registry fix above.

2.Try 'c:\myicons,?' or 'c:\windows\system\shell32.dll,?' with quotes.

I`m pretty sure the solution is as described above.It`s just a matter of getting it right.
Read those links carefully,you may notice a vital piece of info that I missed.

omg how could I be so stupid. Im over here deleting the autorun.inf in the C: drive root directory, when im tryna fix the one for the L drive.. wooooooooow.... anyway yeah, found the hidden autorun in the drive that was screwed deleted and presto..

PEDDANT THANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKS... my god you dont know how much it was driving crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back