XP install in place of ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

XP install in place of ME

I want to install XP on my C: drive which now has WinME.

I was told that XP would re-format C: but instead it gives me a warning that I already have an OS on C: and that XP may not function properly.

There is also an option to delete C: partition and create a new one.

I am running Partition Magic and have ME on C:, Data on D:, NTFS on E:, Win2k on F: and so on......

Will XP use the same size partition? If not I'm afraid it would mess up the rest of my partitions.

Another question:
Can I use a Startup disk, format c: and then find the Setup file on the XP CD?

If you want to just upgrade to XP from ME just boot into Me and insert the XP cd and it'll give you the option to upgrade, if you're doing a fresh install, delete the partition with ME on it, and then create a partition, remember by doing so you will lose all information on that partition, it will then let you format it, and then you can install

Forget the delete and create BS, and forget about PM and anything else. Just Format C:, using a boot disk, and Install XP on it. If you'd rather, you can upgrade ME to XP as Vassil suggested, but I would recommend a clean install. If you need a boot disk, go to www.bootdisk.com. they have some more info there which might be useful to you as well.

I like the boot disk clean install. That's like an old friend.

Lord willing I'll trry it in the morning.

Thanks, I understand what your saying. My reason for the new post was that I felt the subject had changed somewhat and anyone not knowing PartitionMagic would over look the post. And I was unable to set a new subject w/o a new post.

I know inside my orig post the new subject line would appear but it would still show the old subject on the "Windows OS" page.

Sorry for the confusion.

No problem or any harm done really. It's my job as mod to keep things nice and clear though. :)

Originally posted by StormBringer
Forget the delete and create BS, and forget about PM and anything else. Just Format C:, using a boot disk, and Install XP on it. If you'd rather, you can upgrade ME to XP as Vassil suggested, but I would recommend a clean install. If you need a boot disk, go to www.bootdisk.com. they have some more info there which might be useful to you as well.

Absolutely correct. You don't need to delete and create a partition to be able to format it. You can format a partition any time you like.

If you boot the WinXP CD, it will give you the option to format the hard drive before installing Windows on it. Because WinME is already installed, presumably on a FAT32 partition, then Win XP should give you the option to format it as FAT32 or NTFS. If it won't format the Hard Drive as FAT32, then you can use the recovery console, and type FORMAT C: /F:FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back