XP Keeps rebooting at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
this past weekeng my pc began to reboot at startup. it gets to the XP logo and then it shuts down and starts again.

I though one of the memory sticks was damage, so I remove them all and tested one by one and the pc did not boot with any of them.

I had had problems with the DVD so I disable it and nothing.

I have a bootable cd (UBCD) and I was able to boot from it.

I ran spyware removal (I did find and remove some adware)

I also ran memtest and it passed.

ran scandisk and there were some corrupted sectors but it appears that the data was recovered and moved.

also did a registry recovery.
tried last good know config. (won't boot)
tried safe mode. (won't boot)

after all of this the pc is still acting the same way.

by the way I booted from the same CD about 15 times (kept troubleshooting, and idead kept comming) but 2 or 3 times it behaved the same way. It restarted, but the other times it boot it ok.

Try rebooting it from HD about 20 time and it just kept going in circles.

what else can I try?

have XP with 1.5 GB ram
I do a lot of maintenance (virus, adware removal, defrag, port scanns .. except backups ;o( ...............)

What antispyware and antivirus are you using? It may be a Rootkit Virus or something like that that will not allow you to reboot properly. It can also be that a vital operating system files has been deleted.

Tell me the following please:

1. What Antispyware Are You Using?
  2. What Antivirus Are You Using?
  3. Tried Scanning For Rootkits Using Some Tool?
  4. Can You Access the System using the CD Boot?
  5. Try running scan disk again and tell me which file is corrupt?

Let me know the above information so i can try to help you further.

Regards,
David

I use :
Spybot
Norton
Have not scanned for rootkits
I was able to access the some of the files when I booted using the UBCD.
The files corrupted are on under my documents ( I doubt there are any system files there)

I also checked the CPU tem and it was 117 F
the fan speed was 3015
the system fan 1204
I have a Pentium 4 / 2.80 GHz

BTW I tried booting from the XP CD ( I was going to do a repair install) and loaded all the driver and when it started loading windows the screen would go black and 2 min, latter it would restart.

There are many different possiblilities here.

Let's start with software. Since you discovered and removed spyware, there may be corruption of the OS. Try an XP repair installation. If that fails, then run a filesystem check (CHKDSK) to fix any errors.

Now for hardware. Run a diagnostic on the the internal HDD. If that isn't it, I would suspect memory but you've checked that and also the rebooting doesn't happen when booting from CD.

Report back if you're still having problems.

I did some research on the type of CPU I have (pentium IV) and it seems the temp is within normal rage. I do not think is the ps since I can boot from the UBCD and can run it for hours. At this point I think I am goin to take the HD out and use an external enclosure to connected to a differen pc and do some more testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back