XP language change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

Is it possible to change the language in XP, all the options in XP don't seem to change the language....only the input language.
I have a laptop bought in france that now needs to be in english, I am assuming the only way is to reload windows, which I can do but it seems a long way round fixing what seems a simple problem.

I am pretty sure you will have to reinstall it because it simply loads the language requested, there is no need to load on extra languages and take up space when it is not needed.

I am not 100% sure about this, but it logically makes sense to me.

it was just another way of saying I thought your reply was good. I wasnt dissing you.

Heh, it just sounded weird I guess. Thanks :)

Now that we have changed this topic, I wonder if he got his problem solved?

IIRC all XP come with english support installed.

In Service Pack 1 you have a program called muisetup.exe that allows you to install/remove enable/disable UI languages

Nodsu, okay, you run muisetup.exe, but where are the various language files hiding? If possible, I'd like to import them from win2k (of which my version supported multiple language dialog menus), and make winXP a little more user friendly... I'm assuming that if I copy the appropriate language file(s) into the appropriate folder before running muisetup.exe that I might get more choices than just english?

thanks in advance for your time

Well, IIRC on the Windows CD MUI stuff is in the number folders: 1033 and so on.

I think I read from MS KB that you can tell MUIsetup to load language files from a certain folder in command line.
And your thanks in advance was in vain because I'm not in the mood to spend time looking for that article myself :p

I did some looking into MUI for the office I'm working for at the moment, looks like you can only get it (and therefore the languages therein) via a Volume License or similar agreement. Once you've got it, though, it's very easy to use. I installed it just yesterday, very easy.

I have a question, though, can anyone think of a way the users we're setting the machines up for could switch from one language to another using a shorter path than the one below?

Start/Settings/Control Panel/Regional and Language Options, click on languages tab, select desired language, logoff and logon again.

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like there ought to be an easier way, especially since Microsoft have a tendency to programme in about half a dozen ways to get to the same place for pretty much everything they make.

Or maybe some fiddling with the registry to get the values made into buttons for the desktop? (My boss' idea. He heard somebody say that they'd once been able to do that and so wants to know if we can replicate it)

Probably we'll end up just using it as is, but it is an interesting question. Anyone got any good answers? The sooner the better, since the deadline for rollout is getting closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back