XP msinfo error

Status
Not open for further replies.

duku

When I start System Information (msinfo32.msc) it gives me, in the info panel, the following message:

Can't collect information
Cannot access the Windows Management Information software. Windows Mangement files might be moved or missing.

I didn't remove anything, I tried a System Restore (unfortunately to a Checkpoint when the problem was already there), then a System File Checker (SFC /SCANNOW), then check if the WMI service is not disabled (it is automatically started, the default).

In Microsoft Mangement Console, under Services and Application, I have WMI Control. R-click, properties, and:

Failed to connect to <local computer>
because "Interface: class not registered"

The MSInfo problem is not so big, but I fear there may be related troubles to this.

So: HELP, PLZ!

Check to make sure that the "Remote Procedure Call" service is set on Automatic in your services panel.

WMI itself, is a bit of a mystery to me. I know that you can set certain security permissions for it and such. Try logging in as an Adminstrator and see if the same thing happens. You might want to even try logging in as a different user with Admin authority to see if the problem is with your local profile or the system itself.

"Class not registered" makes me think of missing DLLs/Registry entries. You may want to system restore to an even farther point to see if the error exists. You can always undo it if it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back