XP OS, Comcast Router, Linksys Adapter... Connect to source but cant locate Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, please someone help me. I've called Comcast 4 times and Linksys twice. I'm new to wireless connectivity but heres what I know. I have one desktop and one laptop. The router is connecting on the main floor of my access via the cable jack. The deskstop downstairs has a Linksys eternet adapter (sorry, don't know the type offhand). The laptop connects using a wireless card. My laptop is fine, connects to the internet but my desktop can not. The software that comes with Linksys states its connecting to the source but can not find the internet. I am getting a 169. IP address. I've tried powering down the router, reinstalling the adapter, purchasing a new adapter, IPCONFIG renew, etc. Nothing is working. I think its a setting problem but no one will help me with the WEB settings. Who assigns the passphrase? What is the SSID? Etc., etc.,

you need to set the default gate way on your pc to the default on the linksys..
you can acces a configuration window through a browser just enter the ip addres of the router as a url and this should bring up a configuration window..
the reason the laptop is fine is because the wireless card will pick up the gateway automatically you will need to set it on the pc which im presuming is wired to the router..

Thats what I thought but its not hardwired. Its simply has this wireless ethernet adaptor connecting to my desktop via USB port. When can I find the information I need using my laptop since I can't connect via my desktop. sorry, again, new to wireless.

does the pc have a NIC? if so try disabling it and set the wireless adapter to pick up its settings automatically..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back