XP PRO: Invalid Copy?! What the...?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

In May 2006 I built my 939 rig and installed an OEM version of XP Pro SP2 that is fully validated with key purchased from a reputable dealer. Anytime I was prompted to update it went right through. Windows servers recognized my copy as valid everytime but...

I had a BSOD 30 minutes ago and when I re-booted my Sunbelt firewall attempted to create a crash report and then upload. At the same time Windows popped up with a notice of a serious failure and wanted me to send the Error Report. I made the mistake of sending and I got...

Validation Failure and now they want me to try and get a "valid copy" because mine is pirated or so they say. It is not a pirated copy. I use my PC extensively and I am online all the time and this is the first time ever this has happened.

Any ideas what it could be and what do I need to rectify this problem? Thanks.

I would say go make as if your going to get windows updates, or download something from Microsoft.com. There is an option to enter a new CD key. Enter the same key you have, and when it tries to validate it, it might prompt you that it has been used before, and you might have to Activate by Telephone. Shouldnt be much of a problem.

The command oobe/msoobe /a from the Start > Run box may be of some use here. This will bring up the activation screen.

I've never heard of activation problems due to sending error reports, so this is news to me.

Your only recourse might be to talk a MS representative... They are pretty forgiving and I think they will help you activate your Windows as long as you can provide a valid product key.

I once tried activating with them....they are just useless pieces of s*** I solved the problem with a service pack upgrade

Okay, now it is getting wierd. As suggested to me from a person I know I pasted the following in RUN option under the start menu, %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A in order to bring me to the validation process.

Here is the thing: Windows says my software has already been validated!

In addition: I was prompted to download and install 17 security updates as of yesterday. Now if my copy was pirated then MS would shut down the attempt and tell me I have an invalid copy. Guess what? Not only was I able to download said 17 updates but they also installed without a hitch.

And yet I still get the "You have a pirated copy."

The "Pirated Copy" messages are caused by the Microsoft Genuine (dis)Advantage... This is included as an update from Microsoft in your automatic updates and at windowsupdate.com. Something has probably gone wrong with this.

Microsoft lists instructions to remove the MS Genuine Advantage update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914/

microsoft.com said:
Manually uninstall WGA Notifications
  • Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrative permissions.
  • Make sure that the WGA Notifications version that exists on the computer is a pilot version. The version format for the pilot version is 1.5.0532.x. In this case, you can uninstall versions 527-532 only. For example, you can uninstall versions that range from 1.5.0527.0 to 1.5.0532.2. To find the WGA Notifications version, follow these steps:
    • a. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • b. Double-click Add or Remove Programs, click Windows XP - Software, click Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, and then click Click here for support information.

• Note If Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications does not appear, the release version is installed. You cannot uninstall the release version of WGA Notifications.
  • In the Support Info dialog box, verify the version number, and then click Close.
  • Rename the following files by changing the extension to .old:
  • Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.dll to %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.old
  • Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.exe to %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old
  • Restart the computer.
  • Unregister LegitCheckControl.dll by using Regsvr32. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
  • At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
  • Regsvr32 %Windir%\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll /u
  • Restart the computer.
  • Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
  • At the command prompt, delete the following files by typing the Del command. Press ENTER after you type each command.
  • Del %Windir%\system32\wgalogon.old
  • Del %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old
  • Del %Windir%\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll
  • At the command prompt, type regedit.
  • Locate and then right-click the following registry subkeys. Click Delete after you locate each subkey.
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\ CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WgaLogon
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows \CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WgaNotify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back