XP Pro logs off when I log on

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend asked me to have a look at his computer running XP Pro as the startup was extremely slow, found it was chock full of spyware & adware, and his antivirus had run out a few months before.

I ran Spybot S&D and also installed and ran AntiVir Personal Edition to clean these up, and afterward shut down the computer.

Now when he tries to log on it loads his personal settings, but then immediately logs off and gives the 'Enter Username and Password' dialog box again.

I have tred running in Safe Mode and also the Last Known Good Configuration, but it makes no difference.

Im guessing there is something in the startup sequence that is making this happen, but if so it must be something running before the usual drivers etc are loaded, otherwise Safe Mode would be OK?

Ive been trying to rack my brains to come up with a solution / find a way of getting into the system to remove whatever it is that is causing this, but so far have come up with nothing. HELP!!!

I would try this. Boot up with your XP PRO cd, and run the repair utility, and see if that fixes your prob.

When you do get your prob fixed, go to the windows update site, get all the important updates, and make sure your friend keeps his/her spyware/antivirus tools up to date and scans weekly.

You can also try just hitting Enter when the username prompt pops up...

patio. :cool:

Molson316 said:
make sure your friend keeps his/her spyware/antivirus tools up to date and scans weekly.
Too right, I installed Spybot and showed him how to keep it up to date, does he ever? :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back