XP Pro OEM Freezes at Splash Screen help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nixxy

Ok if this topics in forums answered please dont direct me with a link as i need very specific info on this on my system.

[CENTER]Problem:[/CENTER]

When booting to XP it reaches XP loading splah screen and freezes permenantly before the bar can begin

[CENTER]Cause[/CENTER]

Ok the be all and end all or stupidity ME. i deleted unintentionally the major system boot files from the c:\ of my windows when it would boot up. I KNOW WORST THING I CAN POSSIBLY DO!!

files (HIDDEN) deleted were:

boot.ini
errlgr
msvci.dll
autoexe
msdos
ntldr
ntdetect
CONFIG
IO
---------------------------

[CENTER]solutions tried:[/CENTER]

Using xp disk (wrong version realised later on but have the orig now)
tried to use recover console to replace the ntldr & ntdetect files from disk
(failed for obvious reasons being i tried it from a win xp pro corporate not OEM)

Inputting through recovery console the boot.ini files

actual data input

"[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect"

failed to recognise the xp on hd at all just give me option to start this then reboot each time. Also when trying to use XP cd OEM or Corp no access given to the hd when checking the disk
ie
i found trying to use xp cd to go into re-install / recovery console failed as it trys to read the disk it just dies / freezes

****Now i can access the hd xp install files from it as a slave drive and manually opening the disk.

i tried copying the files from a running xp corporate edition into the place i deleted em from with the "my orig xp version OEM" ntldr & ntdetect and this boot.ini

"[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect"
UNLIKE THE PREVIOUS BOOT INI THIS ACTUALLY WORKED UPTILL THE SPLASH SCREEN

and now i can boot the splash screen again but it FREEZES AT THE SPLASH SCREEN

so i gone from a non booting to a splash screen,

[CENTER]what i need to know
[/CENTER]

can i reinstate the xp on that drive from simply copying file onto the c:\ folder of it and if so can some1 tell me the details i need for the boot.ini to make it recognise the install AND BOOT into the OS it please.

In advance any help is appreciated and i will respond to each msg but thanks loads for helping me with my stupidity :p

Unless you need to save data on that drive, I would reformat and reinstall WXP to fix the mess... otherwise, you are looking forward to a long history of fixes and problems and fixes. What you describe is a severely corrupted WXP system.
If you are having trouble even attempting a reformat and reinstall, get back to us.

kewl well,

1. i just need to boot it up for a short period of time maybe 3 hours to obtain some stuff i cant seem to access from the direct folders as a slave drive and ill wipe it but

2.i have trouble with it formatting as i cant acess any where beyond where you get these steps

BOOT FROM OEM XP CD (same version as on hd)

follow steps ie blue screens

cant get to where i need to access the install new windows on the hd
cos as it loads xp install onto it it has to scan the hd for drive settings, location ect. but it freezes there trying to scan the hd any ideas?

ive recovered the majority of what im after but could do with gettin other stuff but a last resort ill just wipe and re ini

You can access your data, installing another WXP drive jumpered as master, and that drive jumpered as a slave, then drag and drop or use the Windows software for file transfer.

Ok... i know i have a few links, but it saves me from retyping the whole post(s) or page. Besides, they're pretty informative.. :D
done that but i have a lot of stuf on my desktop that i cant seem to access
Try taking "ownership" of the folder > https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8914.html

have you tried a windows Repair yet to see if it fixes your corruptions? instructions> https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Otherwise, in recovery console, there's a command that checks for damaged/corrupted system files and scans for them. Its called sfc /scannow

another command that you'd probably be interested in is fixmbr

try getting into safe mode...

For instance?
I assume these are files beyond your Documents folders?
Are you certain you know where to look for them?

although i will try the system recovery you mentioned on this site, i cant get into the xp recovery console as the scan disk part of the startup just dies.

Also im intriugued by that "folder ownership" 1st time ive ever heard that, i can access the desktop folder the stuffs in but nuthing shows so maybe this can get me in to speak. Cheers loads for your help 1st day on the site and already ive had more help than my googling. ill see you guys around the site as i contribute as i like it here so thanks loads.

nothing shows? sure they're not just hidden or you're in the wrong folders? right click the one thats supposed to have something in it, and go to its properties. If its got some size in it that means it could be set to hidden.

you're going to have to reformat the drive before reinstalling windows again. Just installing will not fix your problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back