XP Pro - Random Freezes and BSOD - I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denman007

Some background….

I have a Gateway laptop 600x with Win Xp Pro. For the past year I’ve been getting random freezes in which I have to hold down the power key to reboot, as well as, numerous BSOD errors. I’ve counted about 5 different BSOD errors. My laptop will lockup 2 to 3 times per evening.

I have 2 512mb dimms installed. I have tried running with each, separately, but that did not solve the problem. I also ran Memtest86 without errors. My earliest restore date was only from Dec 2004 - no help.
I originally thought it was a heat problem, but it has locked up within 5 mins of power on.

I recently formatted my HD and installed Win XP Pro. I have only put 2 minor pieces of software back on it. It’s been 3 days and so far and I have only encounter the freezes - no BSOD.

I also ordered a new 128mb dimm from cruicial.com to try by itself – in the mail.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem can be? This is getting so frustrating. I’m considering buying a new laptop for Bestbuy for $700.

If you need anymore info, just ask.

Thanks.
D

When it freezes...

Does it seem to freeze when you are doing the same thing/running the same application or is it at completely different/random times? Can any pattern be determined? Have you booted in safe mode to see if it happens then?

dgower2 said:
Does it seem to freeze when you are doing the same thing/running the same application or is it at completely different/random times? Can any pattern be determined? Have you booted in safe mode to see if it happens then?

It seems to be random...playing online poker, coding VB, surfing the web. I have not booted to safe mode and tried to use it. Would my wireless network connection still work in save mode?

Not sure if the wireless network would still work, but you could certainly code in VB. If you can't reproduce the crash in safe mode, you know that it's a driver or software that being loaded at bootup.

dgower2 said:
Not sure if the wireless network would still work, but you could certainly code in VB. If you can't reproduce the crash in safe mode, you know that it's a driver or software that being loaded at bootup.

I haven't load VB back on yet. I will try safe mode. I will also try my new memory when it comes.

I have a feeling, though, that this is a hardware issue that is unfixable.

Hey, anybody want to buy an awesome laptop, cheap?

update

Just to give an update.

I have run 2 weeks with out any more lockups. After I reinstalled my O/S, I did get a couple of lockups. I believe I tracked them back to my Roxio software. I uninstalled that software and installed a different version of Roxio.

I have also put back in my memory modules on Sunday that I thought may be a problem. I created a restore point and will load my software apps back on - perhaps 1 per week.

Could it be all my problems were related to a particular version of Roxio?

I hope my troubles are behind me!

Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 6 has been declared dead, and is no longer developed.
Replaced by Easy Media Creator 7, which works exclusively under Windows XP.

If you still had the version 5, you can get some driver-updates etc, but that is about all.
Try Nero or get the excellent free CDBurnerXP Pro from Stefan Haglund at www.cdburnerxp.se

I am currently running Roxio Easy CD Creator version 5.1.2600.

I think Version 6 was the one giving me the problem.

Also..should you try Nero..make sure you disable XP,s default durning app(which is Roxio based)..;)

Well I guess I spoke too soon. I got a BSOD last night in the win32k.sys - I think it was the Page Fault message.

I guess I will remove my old memory(2x 512) again and see if that fixes the problem. I'll put in my new 128 module I just bought a few weeks ago.

Isn't there a device I can get that can test memory dimms?

I will remove Roxio, but only after I determine if this is a memory issue.

What are the odds...I run 2 weeks hard no problems...then with in 48 hours of swapping my memory, I get BSOD. We'll see. This stinks!

That's great, glad to hear you got it all straightened away.

BTW
:wave:welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Hope to see you around, and maybe you could be the one helping ohters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back