XP Pro won't boot up after system restore

Status
Not open for further replies.
please help! i backed up my system into an external hdd with iomega backup software pro, formatted my c: drive and reinstalled XP Pro from home edition. I restored the OS from the ext. hdd but it wouldn't boot up; it said something about a configuration problem and i've tried restoring it over and over again without success. Can somebody help please?

Welcome to Techspot!
When you installed Xp on the the reformatted HDD you created a new set of Identifiers,Users and security setup that will conflict with your backed up copy that you are trying to use to restore on Top.
If the Iomega software can restore a system (Like Ghost,etc) then reformat and reinstall with the Iomega backup file only.
If not, then re-install the XP from the CD and copy only the data you need from your back-up.You may have to claim Ownership of files from that Backup.

XP Pro won't boot up

WHAT did you install? Pro or Home
WHAT did you backup? Pro or Home
Restoring Pro over Home or Home over Pro?

i installed XP Pro. I backed up XP Home ed. I'm restoring Home edition over Pro.

The problem now is that i backed up the entire system and not files, so when i tried restoring the OS from backup, it restored everything as is without giving me any options. I guess i should have verified the backup initially; i'm thinking the backup is corrupt. Is there a way out of this? Thanks.

I am afraid that you have confused exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
First you say you "backed up the entire system ,but not files)" What files" are missing if you backed up the "entire system"
Why are trying to "restore Home over a Pro install.( In fact you cannot do that)Pro is much more extensive than Home anyway.
You can "update" to Pro over Home or/ you would have to re-install the Home O/S (Cleanly on a Formatted HDD) to go from Pro to Home.
I really think your only answer is exactly what I said in my first post above.Unless I have missed some point you need to make clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back