XP Puzzler Missing clipboard, drag and drop, shared files and IE wont run!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

Like the title said. Lots of core components of windows is missing on our XP. I am almost 100% positive scan disk messed up, deleted or blocked something. The HD needs to be replaced, I am aware of that! Strange clicks and scan disk runs every time the computer starts up. (Yes, you guessed! It an laptop!) So..... Is their another program that will take the place of windows clipboard? What is the missing component? Is it possible to fix? (No) I just need to get off a few files, but I just cant figure it out!

Once again...

Clip board, drag and drop, shared files and IE wont work. ( I Can run FF from my flash drive, usb drivers must still work)

--Daniel L

If you are hearing clicks or other erratic emissions, you need to recover the data now and replace the harddrive, as you know. I would get a converter for your HDD to fit it to a standard IDE cable, plug it in a desktop, and try to move the files. If it doesn't work, freeze it, and try again. If that doesn't work, drop it from maybe 6 to 8 inches and try again. If that doesn't work, bowl with it, flail it at nearby enemies, and then microwave it along with a few cd-r's while listening to some 80s Italo Disco for an awesome light show (hey, at this point, it is definitely dead, so use your imagination).

If you have a Windows XP CD, I would pop it in and run "sfc /scannow" to see if you can get a few extra hours/days/months out of it by replacing damaged system files, or maybe perform a Windows repair by booting off of the Windows CD.

-shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back