XP Recovery installation:Prompted to insert Nvidia Network Bus Installation Disk #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kua

I've performed a recovery installation in the past and I wasn't given this prompt. Is it normal? Do you think this refers to the disc that came with my motherboard (which I know has 'some' drivers on).

Thank You.

Edit: I now understand I can download such a driver from the Nvidia site but how can I find the model of my bus? My mobo is an ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium.

Edit 2: Checking the mobo manual I wonder if the item listed in the LAN section is the network bus (NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI). Is that right? In which case, presumably, I would need this driver.

Yes, sorry I've started and subsequently discontinued several threads. I think I have some kind of serious issue here (and I've even paid someone to take a look at it - but so far no joy) and have followed several lines of enquiry only to reach a dead end or see reason to follow a new line of enquiry.

I will download that driver, write it to a CD and pop it in, just as soon as I can access the PC with a CD writer.

Thanks for your help, Zeno.

I've done that but it doesn't accept it. From using 'browse' I can only assume that the file must be of the type 'nvenetfd.inf' or 'nvenetfd.in'.

Without 'satisfying' this prompt I can't complete the recovery installation. If I keep pressing cancel the PC reboots. And I'm not sure whether I can (or should) boot from the HDD without completing it... (Edit, I can't :( -- Things are really FUBARed)

*Tears hair out*

kimsland said:
I'd say start a fresh install again (and remove the old partion if available)
Here's all your driver: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5N32-SLI Premium you will need to select which OS

Yes I'd come to the same conclusion but I was a little worried the same problem would occur(?). Sorry to be noob but what do you mean by remove the old partition?

Also (and I know I should have done this before - but I'm learning from a big botch as usual) is it too late to make an image of the hard drive, considering I won't even be able to boot from the HDD until I make a fresh installation?

I hope this question makes sense, and I will research it, but what exactly happens to my data when I do a fresh install? Does a fresh install wipe the hard drive.

Yes a fresh install will wipe the Hard Drive

From your first post:
I've performed a recovery installation
Do you mean you have already done this now as well?
If so, and if it was an image recovery program, then your data is already lost
If so, and if it was a Windows installation (using a standard Windows CD) then maybe your data is still ok

So which type of disc do you have:
A recovery disc (this is usually an image)
Or a Windows CD?

If you're using a Windows CD, you will notice a prompt to remove the existing partition(s) and to do a fresh install, or to Repair Windows
So I'm still unsure which one you have.

There is no use creating another image until your Windows is fully set up, with all drivers, and all Windows security updates (plus maybe Office and Adobe, so forth)

kimsland said:
Yes a fresh install will wipe the Hard Drive

From your first post: 'I've performed a recovery installation'

That should have read, I attempted a recovery installation. I got the prompt mentioned above part way through.

I'm using the windows XP (home edition) CD, when you select install, it gives you the option to perform a recovery installation, as oppose to a full one (its soemthing I've performed successfully before without it wiping my hard drive.

kimsland said:
There is no use creating another image until your Windows is fully set up, with all drivers, and all Windows security updates (plus maybe Office and Adobe, so forth)

I see...

The repair option (recovery really pointing to recovery console) will not remove your data. (as you have confirmed before)
And all your programs will still be intact, except the Windows Security Updates.

But, this is not a clean install (meaning format or I say, remove partition) so therefore if you have faulty drivers loaded already for your video card, they will remain.

I think your best option (due to data present)
Is to press F8 repeatively on system startup, and select "Last Known Good Configuration" (or if that doesn't work "Safe" mode)

Once in there, you can hopefully back up all your data
And then decide on Repairing Windows or doing a clean install, after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back