XP Repair Installation - Or What Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

It started so innocently.:suspiciou I ran chkdsk from My Computer w/ both "Fix Problems" & "Scan Bad Sectors" checked. It prompted to restart - I did - & it ran. Quite a while on c:\ that has ~ 4.75 GB data.

It never showed any messages during or after running. Not found a log file, if it exists.

Not content, I ran sfc /scannow. I put in the XP CD (w/ SP-2) when prompted. It ran a long time - probably > 1 hr. Again, no messages during or after it ran. Haven't found log file.

Now, in addition to my orig problem of Explorer not displaying quite right, when I click on MS System Information (MSinfo32.exe), it launches the Help & Support Ctr (helpctr.exe & helpsvc.exe). Unless I've lost my mind (no comments), the MS System Information main screen looks nothing like XP Help & Support Ctr.

I'm thinking sfc messed up? the msinfo32.exe file(s), or something else I can't imagine. I tried starting msinfo32.exe manually (two ver on the disk - one is a back up in Win\system32\dllcache). I also typed it into Run, and it still launches Help & Support.:confused:

Inside msinfo32.exe, I see references to that name, so it doesn't look like the Help Center file was just renamed.

XP boots normally & seems to be running OK. I'm not sure what's the best step to take now. I could restore, but that won't necessarily replace all damaged files, depending on how many / which ones.

Suggestions?

Thanks Howard!

Sounds exactly like my prob. I UNintentionally ran SpiderBITE, instead of Spider, and one of the paths on the report is the Offline cache he mentioned.

Where would I get a copy of the index.dat, or the lines out of it?

I am attaching a copy of my index.dat file. You will need to unzip it and place it in the following directory.

C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\OfflineCache

Please note: My Windows version is XP home. So, if you`re running XP pro, it might not work for you. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks again Howard,

You're a prince among men...unless you're a woman named Howard. Hey, it could happen.

I have XP home, too. Maybe it'll work.

Still curious why an index.dat affects running an *.exe file. Sometimes Windows behavior reminds of the 3 Stooges when water comes out of the ceiling light fixtures.:eek:

BTW, I don't need to send your copy of the index.dat to Kaspersky, or the FBI lab, do I? Howard...Howard?

Hmm... must've lost connection. Oh well, I'm sure it's safe. I'll just unzip it here and...
AAHHHHHHHGG!!!
Just kidding.

Thanks Howard,

Replacing the missing index.dat in <C:\ WINDOWS\ PCHEALTH\ HELPCTR\ OfflineCache> solved the prob of the Help & Supp starting instead of MS Info when running msinfo32.exe.

But, now if I try to start the Help, instead I get a picture of Rosie O'Donnell in a negligee?!? What the...

Just yankin' yer printer cable.:D It seems to work fine.
Thanks for the file, and for the tip / link!

I`m glad your problem appears to be solved mate.

No, you don`t need to have Kaspersky or the FBI checkout my file lol.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back