XP service pack 1 archive files

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

XP service pack 1 archive files

A friend of mine who has XP has downloaded and installed service pack 1. They said the program gave them the choice to archive files so they could "restore" if necessary, which they did.

If the service pack works well is there any reason not to delete the archived files to save space? If so, where would they be?

there is no reason not to delete them. I have with no problems. USUALLY you can delete them from the disk cleanup tool in system tools. I say USUALLY because I have seen where the archived files werent listed in disk cleanup.

C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$

Thats where they are, not sure if deleting them that way is good or not, but as long as you don't want to restore then I don't see why not.

I think they are safe to remove. But as stated then you will loose the ability to uninstall later on. remember that some problems can take a while to surface....

Originally posted by SNGX1275
C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$

Thats where they are, not sure if deleting them that way is good or not, but as long as you don't want to restore then I don't see why not.

Don't forget the "Service Pack Files" directory that will be lodged in \%windowsroot%\ anyways when system restore is turned off AND you choose to NOT archive the files.

They are all safe to delete, and it is safe to delete the other uninstall folders too (these are the uninstalls for hotfixes), just remember if you remove those you can't uninstall them properly later.

Now here computer will not shutdown automatically and her SecondCopy (backup) program runs constantly.

I think I may advise "Restore".

You may want to check the MSKB first. I'm not sure about the SecondCopy problem, but the autoshutdown problem has been well documented. There are a couple of threads in this forum covering autoshutdown problems. They may help as well.

Got another not from her. The shutdown problem has disappeared, at least for now.

The Second Copy is backing up her "Documents & settings" file.

The Second copy has also quite running.

Could the "Service Pack Files" be in that folder. That would give a reason for Second Copy to run for a long time copying all that "stuff".

In Documents and settings? well, there are several things in that directory and its subdirectories that might cause a back-up app to run for a long while. Temp files are stored in there, Internet cache, and loads of other things. Answering your question, yes I think the SP1 files are in that directory, more accurately in a subdirectory there. It is probably in the temp folder. If you've never cleaned that folder, I'd recommend looking around in there at all the junk you can probably get rid of. Several things get stored there which serve no purpose beyond whatever they were put there for in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back