xp setup quandary problem dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really messed something up. We have a laptop with a corrupt driver for an LG DVD-RW. (Another story - but question mark in Device Mgr, would not delete and reinstall properly). Anyway, after many hours of troubleshooting I decided (for better or worse) to do a repair installation of XP. System booted fine with the XP CD, but when setup reboots, it looks for the CD to continue. The system still refuses to see the DVD drive, so it can't continue. I've tried redirecting setup to an i386 folder on the HD, and even tried using a jump drive with the OS, but setup ends with an error "Setup failed to install Product Catalog".

Now I'm stuck. Does anybody have any interesting ideas? I've got the HD out to make a backup, and have copied a current version of i386 to the HD, but I have a feeling this probably won't work.

samulcahy said:
I really messed something up. We have a laptop with a corrupt driver for an LG DVD-RW. (Another story - but question mark in Device Mgr, would not delete and reinstall properly). Anyway, after many hours of troubleshooting I decided (for better or worse) to do a repair installation of XP. System booted fine with the XP CD, but when setup reboots, it looks for the CD to continue. The system still refuses to see the DVD drive, so it can't continue. I've tried redirecting setup to an i386 folder on the HD, and even tried using a jump drive with the OS, but setup ends with an error "Setup failed to install Product Catalog".

Now I'm stuck. Does anybody have any interesting ideas? I've got the HD out to make a backup, and have copied a current version of i386 to the HD, but I have a feeling this probably won't work.

Well the i386 dir should work all it needs are the install files and you can install off of any files of any same OS cd. All you have to do is have your control number.

stindle said:
Well the i386 dir should work all it needs are the install files and you can install off of any files of any same OS cd. All you have to do is have your control number.

I am very relieved you think it should work with the correct OS files (problem was that I don't know what version was in the original i386 folder). Don't have laptop with me so won't be able to try right way.

What do you mean by control number?

Should have said License number that came with the machine OS , if you have a OEM version you may not have a writen code.

stindle said:
Should have said License number that came with the machine OS , if you have a OEM version you may not have a writen code.

OK, I wasn't sure what you meant. BTW, once I had the correct OS files it did work just fine. I panicked when I got stuck in that setup loop. Thank you very much for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back