XP Slow Startup - Auto Configure IP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm suddenly having a nightmare starting up XP. When I click to login it can take a few mins to completely start up. I looked into computer management logs and for some reason it cannot contact the DHCP server to obtain an IP address so it is auto configuring my lan, bluetooth and sometimes wireless. I run a wireless home network which is basically just my Laptop wireless and a cable box hard wired running through the router. I have just changed the router but the problem didn't happen straight away.

I also have a problem where the wireless connection will happen and then it won't have full connectivity so I can't use the net. I click 'repair' and most of the time that sorts it out.

Any help would be much appreciated! Could it be my wireless card is knackered? I've tried reinstalling the drivers.

AH, the main problem is the router with the wireless connection. You will have to pull the power plugs and wait few minutes then plug it back in. This should reset some old IP and will recognize your computer and laptop as well as your network. Well, why using the login? do you have the multi users?

bushwhacker said:
AH, the main problem is the router with the wireless connection. You will have to pull the power plugs and wait few minutes then plug it back in. This should reset some old IP and will recognize your computer and laptop as well as your network. Well, why using the login? do you have the multi users?

I don't think that's the problem. It's something up with the startup scripts I think. I say that because I started the laptop at another house on a different wireless router and it took just as long and I had even more 'full connectivity' errors. When I clicked repair it wasn't always obtaining an IP.

Yes, multi users. Never had an issue before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back