XP SP2 Force Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin16

Hey

You guys know how Microsoft is going to force upgrades on XP machines?

What about the people with the pirated copies of XP?

P.S. I have a legal copy :D

If you have a legal one then there's no need to discuss illegal ways to circumvent the copy protection. :knock:

Hrmm, I hadn't heard this, I have yet to install it on any of my machines. Guess I need to read into this a little more.

Basically you can get by the forced upgrade with a pirated version of XP if you

go out and pay for a LEGAL version of the OS.

They,re not "forcing" anything..turn off auto update, like it should be in the first place, and you wont be bothered...;)

Yeah thanks guys

BTW: Didou, this was a question of curiousity. If you can't or choose not to help, shut up.

What it means is that MS would like you to have SP2 installed in order to recieve newer updates.
Those updates will always be available as seperate downloads and noone will be blocked out per se.
SP2 even though there are alot of complaints out there is not just a security update...it is an OS upgrade as well. Most machines i have fixed that had problems with SP2 had pre-existing trouble before the SP2 installation. People fell in to the easy way of making SP2 the scapegoat saying SP2 screwed up my system when this was in fact not the case.
Again it was a major OS upgrade and i wouldn't expect MS to write 2 sets of on-going updates; one for those with SP2 and one for those without.
The other problems i saw with it were driver issues which again doesn't fall into MS's lap.
I'm in no way sticking up for MS here i'm simply stating that SP2 was / is usually not the culprit.

patio. :cool:

To better clarify, SP2 will check your CDkey against a list of known bad keys and it will also make sure it more closely matches proper keys. Your serial number, which is GENERATED by your key, is what is used. I won't go into specifics here. There are many more invalid keys in SP2 than in SP1.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
:confused:

That's probably the biggest reason there are so many zombie machines.
Biggest reason you have Zombile machines is because peeps treat puters likeTV,s....not a clue. Auto "anything" takes 100% control away from you...it also opens ports that most folks dont even know exists...;)

Kevin16 said:
Why is that?

Microsoft wants to prevent non-legit users of XP from installing SP2 in an effort to curb piracy. If you have a legit key, you have nothing to worry about.

XP upgrade

I wound up having a problem with a LEGIT copy of XP. M$ told me to download the network verison of the upgrade. There is a version of SP2 that is used for network installations so bandwidth is not wasted. It fixed my problem and I wound up burning the file to CD so I have it forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back