XP Start up problems. Possible Hardware failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledgus

I have been having trouble starting up windows XP. Everytime i start up XP, it always freezes. I would do something as simple as try to open My Computer, or internet explorer, and it would freeze, or take a lifetime to open.

I am also unable to install any programs, as I keep getting Error 1117 I/O error. I have ran HDD tests, and everything points to the HDD being fine. My main suspicion is that I have RAM problems??

I have done 2 complete formats, and fresh installs of windows XP profesional, and that didnt help! :confused:

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

I have, and I had the same problem, but that doesnt rule out the HDD either. The strange thing is that I can boot up fine in safe mode, everything works OK, its just when i try to do a normal startup!

hi every one I am satish I am a tech support engg

sledgus said:
I have been having trouble starting up windows XP. Everytime i start up XP, it always freezes. I would do something as simple as try to open My Computer, or internet explorer, and it would freeze, or take a lifetime to open.

I am also unable to install any programs, as I keep getting Error 1117 I/O error. I have ran HDD tests, and everything points to the HDD being fine. My main suspicion is that I have RAM problems??

I have done 2 complete formats, and fresh installs of windows XP profesional, and that didnt help! :confused:

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

If you receive the following error message, it might indicate that Microsoft SQL Server 2000 has detected hardware or system problems when it was reading from or writing to database files:

Error 823
I/O error <error> detected during <operation> at offset <offset> in file '<file>'
The format of the error message is slightly different in Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0. However, the same concepts and discussions also apply to SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 7.0.

For more information about the various parts of this message, such as <error> and <operation>, and for more information about the use of Microsoft Windows API calls that are made by SQL Server 2000

TRY THIS:---------------------------

SQL Server 2000 raises the error that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article if the following conditions are true: • Operating system error: A read Windows API call or a write Windows API call is not successful, and SQL Server encounters an operating system error that is related to the Windows API call. The following error message is an example of an 823 error for an operating system:
2003-07-28 09:01:27.38 spid75 Error: 823, Severity: 24,
State: 2
2003-07-28 09:01:27.38 spid75 I/O error 1117 (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.) detected during read at offset 0x0000002d460000 in file 'e:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\mssql\data\mydb.MDF'
Except for the operating system error 6 (“The handle is invalid”), operating system errors that are reported for 823 errors are likely related to an underlying system problem or hardware problem. If an operating system error occurs, even if the DBCC CHECKDB statement does not report a problem, you may have to work with your hardware vendor, system administrator, or Microsoft Product Support Services to resolve this problem.

Note You may or may not see errors from the DBCC CHECKDB statement on the database that is associated with the file in the error message. You can run the DBCC CHECKDB statement when you see an 823 error. If the DBCC CHECKDB statement does not report any errors, you probably have an intermittent system problem or a disk problem.
• I/O logical check failure: If a read Windows API call or a write Windows API call for a database file is successful, but specific logical checks on the data are not successful (a torn page, for example), an 823 error is raised. The following error message is an example of an 823 error for an I/O logical check failure:
2003-09-05 16:51:18.90 spid17 Error: 823, Severity: 24,
State: 2
2003-09-05 16:51:18.90 spid17 I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0x00000094004000 in file 'F:\SQLData\mydb.MDF'..
To resolve this problem, first run the DBCC CHECKDB statement on the database that is associated with the file in the error message. If the DBCC CHECKDB statement reports errors, correct those errors before you troubleshoot this problem. If the problem persists even after the DBCC CHECKDB errors have been corrected, or if the DBCC CHECKDB statement does not report any errors, review the Microsoft Windows NT system event log for any system errors or disk-related errors. You can also contact your hardware vendor to run any appropriate diagnostics.

Yikes pandeysatishbe,
all this to say "HARDWARE ERROR"!... We have already come to this conclusion haven't we? ...And Engg is actually spelled Engineer, isn't it?

Thanks for the info sir

Dear Sira I am new to this forum I was not aware that this is the way u welcome a new comer to ur forum i just tried to help i was not showing my knowledge and by the way in know how to spell what i am but i think u need to know how to abrivate

Thanks and Regards
Satish

So English is not your first language... You must be East Indian. All of Microsofts tech support staff is East Indian it seems. Computer repair is not that technical. All one needs is a little common sence, a little technical knowledge and hands-on experience. In my experience, Tech Support Engineers are somewhat lacking in common sence and hands-on experience :)

Here u go

Now i can smell some thing burning u guys are deprived of ur jobs it has been snatched by us becoz we r really capable of handelling them well ur right english is not my first language but its strange that the jobs which requires english speaking is handled by us not by u guys whoes first language is english and one more thing check the spelling of this word once again "sence"

Thanks and Regards

HA HA HA

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

It is a hardware failure... I realize English is not easy to learn sense is the proper spelling sorry

nothing personal buddy

come on buddy afterall why to fight lets share the knowledge
Hi I am Satish from India

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

pandeysatishbe said:
Now i can smell some thing burning u guys are deprived of ur jobs it has been snatched by us becoz we r really capable of handelling them well ur right english is not my first language but its strange that the jobs which requires english speaking is handled by us not by u guys whoes first language is english

Thanks and Regards

HA HA HA

Now that HAS to be the funniest thing I have heard in a while! Even though its just an assumption! lol....

Lol,

pandeysatishbe.....
1. MS employs indians cos they're cheaper than English people.
2. You just spammed a whole theorietical answer, without even asking sledgus if he runs SQL server!!!!
He is running xp, and more likely at home without SQL server. (thats just me guessing btw)
What do you think?

Grapes r sour

k.jacko said:
Lol,

pandeysatishbe.....
1. MS employs indians cos they're cheaper than English people.
2. You just spammed a whole theorietical answer, without even asking sledgus if he runs SQL server!!!!
He is running xp, and more likely at home without SQL server. (thats just me guessing btw)
What do you think?

HAHAHAHAHA

I discovered what an SQL server was... A database engine. I know that a hardware failure can corrupt the Operating System. This may be what Satish was trying to point out

Sledgus, have you tried scanning for spyware/viruses/malware? You could also try something like Registry Patrol or XP medic to look for registry problems.

*Edit: Sorry I got off subject. I am trying to learn how to bite my tongue.

I figured it out

Hey All,

Firstly thanx to everyone who actually tried to help me, and didn't end up arguing with an east indian Microsoft Engineer about SQL Server!!!

The whole problem was caused by my LAN card crapping itself. I went into BIOS (at the advice of an I.T Tech whom my friend knows) and disabled the onboard LAN, and everything worked back the way it was! :approve:

Thanx again for your suggestions, and in the future, try not to argue ammongst yourselves about things that aren't even related to the question being asked.

Cheers,

"Thanx again for your suggestions, and in the future, try not to argue ammongst yourselves about things that aren't even related to the question being asked"...

All this fuss was caused by a hardware configuration error. Pandeysatishbe greatly confused the issue. His post sent us all into "no man's land" for a while. IT people always complicate hardware issues. They are not all that bad with software though...

When I call Microsoft from a US number, I do expect the call to be answered by someone who speaks clear English!

haha

Tmagic650 said:
"Thanx again for your suggestions, and in the future, try not to argue ammongst yourselves about things that aren't even related to the question being asked"...

All this fuss was caused by a hardware configuration error. Pandeysatishbe greatly confused the issue. His post sent us all into "no man's land" for a while. IT people always complicate hardware issues. They are not all that bad with software though...

When I call Microsoft from a US number, I do expect the call to be answered by someone who speaks clear English!

LOL.. yeah it was just annoying coz instead of reading replies about the topic, I was reading you guys arguing ammongst yourselves! It was pretty funny to read tho.

I haven't (thank goodness) had the need to ring microsoft yet, but yeah I can imagine it would be annoying talking to someone who can't speak english properly.. Speaking to foreigners can be so frusturating! Either you don't understand what they are trying to say, or they can't understand what you are trying to say.

By The Way

And by the way, I'm running Windows XP Profesional with Service Pack 2... I'm not running SQL server and I never intend to!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back