XP welcome screen, fast user switching problem, installed hardware – not compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4mr4n

Dear all,

I got a bit of a problem concerning my XP Home Edition computer. It concerns the welcome screen and fast user switching.

I recently got a piece of Biometric equipment (BioTouch USB 200) and tried installing onto my XP BUT it was only compatible to windows 2000/NT but I found that afterwards (when I emailed Identix (manufacturer) who told me that the version I got is not compatible with xp)

So I installed the hardware onto the xp and like the manufacturer (Identix) said it was not compatible but I had already installed it, so naturally I uninstalled the hardware and restarted the computer but then the problem occurred which was that the xp welcome screen and fast user switching were disabled, so I went to control panel – user accounts and tried changing it back to fast user switching but I got an error message….

A recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msgina.dll

So that’s the error message I get, so if anybody knows how I could rectify the problem and how I could get the welcome screen and fast user switching back, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance and much appreciated, I have also sent an email to identix which I am waiting for a response.

Please anyone

Did you try 'System Restore' and restoring the computer to a point before you first installed the software?

its ok now.... didnt do the restore bit ..... but someone from another forum found a site which helped me, just replaced a file :) ;)

welcome screen and fast user switching problem

Hi

i am facing the same problem, could you pls tell me how to solve it?

"A recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change cswGina.dll"

thanks
Sumon

Try this

Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

If this key exists, delete it and reboot.

(And please let us know what works if you get it fixed)

The problem was solved, thanks to everyone who helped.

The mother board was f**ked and needed to be replaced.

a couple of those black round cubes, forgot what they are called, were swollen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back