XP Welcome screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

When I click on a user icon on my Welcome screen the login process seems to start, but then the welcome screen is redisplayed in logout mode - i.e. with the message 'saving your settings'.

There is only one user registered on the system, with Admin privileges, in addition to the main 'Administrator', who can only be seen in Safe mode. Both accounts give the same result.

Reading elsewhere I see that the logins are recorded in a log file and there are settings for its size & method of use. Trouble is - I can't get through to Windows & the Control Panel, or even the Start Menu, to check/amend the settings.

Help please !

Nick

your machine is stuck in a login-log-off loop. it's highly likely infected with tenga.a virus or gaelicum virus. the only way to kill it, is in safe mode (tapping f8) when booting up. then run this vcleaner.exe from avg software. shut down, and reboot. post back with result. you can get vcleaner.exe from here: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/112/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Thanks Al,

I have AVG already - last thing I did was a full scan - can't remember if it found the one you mention.

Problem is - even in Safe mode I don't get past the Welcome screen. Even F8 & 'Go to Command Prompt' is ignored & goes to Welcome screen !

ok, i got it. i see what the problem is. you can't get into os at all. right? ok try to do a repair install on top of the xp that's already on your machine. put your cd in the cd-drive, go into bios, and in boot sequence, choose "boot from cd first". save your settings, and let the machine boot from cd. follow the instructions. be careful. do not format or partition or do a "fresh install". just do a repair install on top of the xp.

the vcleaner.exe is not in avg ani-spyware program. it's just a small single use program. it's only good for the viruses listed under it's description. if you go to that site, you'll find other single use killers too that kill a spacific virus. this one is effective for tenga.a and gaelicum.
p.s. you shouldn't see a welcome screen in safe mode, i think. are you sure you are doing the safe mode right? are safe mode on the 4 corners of the screen?

Still no progress

Ali - if you are there, otherwise anyone ! Still unresolved problems.

Safe Mode - using either the 'with command prompt' or without, both still take me to the welcome screen. The PC didn't have a boot CD, so I have been trying to make one on another XP machine with Nero & I can't even get that to work !

Completely different problem I know, but selecting 'Make a bootable disk', then selecting 'use standard boot image' creates me a 1.8M Nero Image .nrg file on my PC - not on the CD. I then burn that to the CD but the faulty PC still goes through to the Welcome screen when I boot from CD !

So no idea why Nero isn't burning - I ended up using the standard Windows burner.

I have also tried to boot from normal XP install CD which gives me a 4096 error on file viaide.sys - from xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c on the CD.

Who likes a challenge for a Monday then !

regards
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back