XP will not boot without cd in drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people
I have found others with this problem but they get a error.
I installed xp pro on 2 diffrent drives and get the same result.
I can boot to xp if i leave the cd in the drive but if it is out then i just get a black screen and no hard drive activity or cd drive activity. As of now they are on same cable hard drive is master cd drive is slave. i have tried them on there own cable and tried fixing the mbr and fixboot commands and still the same result.
Any idea's that you can suggest will be greatly apritiated.
Thank you
Robert

Do you have the boot order set correctly in the bios? Please explain how you have it set.

It could happen, when first boot drive is set to optical drive but 2nd boot option as hard drive hasn't been pick a dedicated hard drive.

If motherboard in question is K8V-X, you can check on the BIOS, under Boot menu -> Hard drives -> 1st Drive is point to your actual hard drive, and also 2nd boot device under Boot Device Priority has your hard drive listed.

It may be the source of your problem.

If you reverse your boot order, the system will search for a bootable hard drive drive then bootable optical disc.

everything in bios checks out now what is weird i started it up today and it booted up fine and thought i had it fixed becouse i had the disk on the desk and i opened the tray and it had a drivers disk in there so i took it out and booted it but just get the black screen. i can put a blank disk in there and it will boot. If i have no disk in there it will not. It is the weird.

What happens if you disconnect the optical drive entirely?
It appears to be a BIOS setup problem to me, since it has happend on two different hard drives.
Remove and reseat your EIDE or SATA cables. Check your jumpers on both the hard drives and the optical drives. Try a different set of cables to adjust for a problem with a crimped or pulled wire in existing one.

Try disconnecting the data cable to the optical drive and see if it will boot like that.

i will try a new cable now but i have tried removing the cd drive and i have checked the jumpers the hard drive is master and cd drive is slave. If i remove the cd drive entirely it just goes to the black screen. brb try a new cable

The new cable did not work so i blew out the bios and reinstalled it and now it works ? thx for all the help guys greatly appritiated.

Ok. I am curious.
How was it that you "blew out the BIOS" for future reference. Did you remove the cmos battery, or another technique?

Problem is in bios

i had this problem too and it IS/WAS a setting in bios.

Now, mine was a sata setting, email me and i will help you with this.

I need the mb brand and model in the email.

good day.

gary

email, ok, it wont let me post an email address so, ask and admin to email me or something as i prob will forget to check back here.

Problems with booting into windows

Hi,
I have problems booting into Windows XP Prof without having the XP install disc in an optical drive.
My MB is Abit AB9 pro.
I have several PATA and SATA HDD-drives.
I'd really appreciate any help!

I agree with Zenosincks.
This is an interesting topic for a separate thread.
Sounds like an install error to me.

I have a generally related problem, which is that for the last two days upon booting I get the message "Verifying DMI Pool Data ...../ Boot from CD: Failure ......../ Remove disks or other media./ Press any key to restart. "This wasn't the case earlier. I am on WinXP Home. Following the advice of Zenosincks and raybay to Stobe (last 3 Posts), I am starting a new Thread: "OUCH! System detects Ghost Disk on booting", with the hope that Stobe, Zenosincks and raybay, and other affected/knowledgeable members, will contribute/enlighten kindred suffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back