XP will not recognize new CD Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjrutter

Hi Folks,

I know I'll kick myself when someone comes up with an easy solution to this problem;

Installed a new LG GSA-H10N Super-Drive DVD/CD Writer. Upgraded to latest firmware JL11. Windows XP SP2 and a stable machine.

Can't get XP to recognize the CD writer part of the Super-Drive. Everytime I try to copy a CD in Pinnacle or Nero it dumps to a file on the hard drive. DVD portion works fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Keith

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I don`t know about Pinnacle, but in Nero you may need to choose the recorder.

Start Nero burning rom and in the compilation window click cancel. Click on the recorder menu and select choose recorder. See if your new drive is listed there. Highlight the device and click ok. There should be a similar function in Pinnacle.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome - Great site.

Already asked Nero to select the CD recorder. It does, correctly but then doesn't show it when I run the CD Copy command!

My previous cd recorder worked fine - I must get an expansion card for IDE connections!!

Cheers, Keith

Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Nero?

That`s about all I can think of right now.

Regards Howard :)

Edit: It could also be that your version of Nero doesn`t support your new drive. Take a look HERE.

Well, there's a surprise!! Not supported by Nero! Thanks for the link.

But that doesn't explain why its not recognized by XP as a cd recorder!

What am I missing in the hardware installation of XP. The device is listed in Device Manager, but only as a DVD writer.

Cheers, Keith

Go to your device manager and right click on the drive, select uninstall. Once done, reboot your system and Windows will redetect the drive. See if that helps.

if you are using the copy command and have the DVD burner as the only optical drive then it is going ot copy the files to the hard drive before it burns it to a disc. ( which it will ask you to insert after it copies all the files on the CD.

Hi Howard,

Tried all that. No change. Thanks for the ideas though.

Hi ISS,

Even that does not work.

Regards, Keith

The only other suggestion I have is to try deleting the upper and lower filters in your registry.

This is taken from the Microsoft website.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

The full article can be found HERE.

If that doesn`t help, I`m out of ideas.

Howard, you're a star.

Thanks very much for your continued ideas. I'm away from the home computer for a few days but will give that idea a go once I get back.

If it works, I may have to drive to Colne and buy you a beer! I'll let you know next week.

Cheers, Keith

Something like that hpapend to my cousins computer too, it never detected the drive, so I tried everyhing with the software, reiinsallting nd stuf liek that, but at the end i just unplugged the cables from the back, then plugged them back in. I dont know if it will work with you but, you can always give it a try! :cool:

Hi uapak,

Thanks for the idea. I've tried it but, alas, no success. I'm beginning to think that I'm missing a cd's worth of software.

Cheers, Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back