XP wont Activate

Status
Not open for further replies.

not-so-pwner

I recently chose (more like forced to) update XP Home SP1 to SP2. Then the windows uninstaller wouldnt work and I tried everything to fix it. So I reinstalled XP SP1 (a disk I recieved with my computer, a legal disk). Then I went to activate it (I had done this twice before) and the MS computer said my code wasnt in their database. So I waited for the actual Customer Service rep to talk to me but no one answered. I tried this several times, the internet, over the phone and the key provided with my computer did not work. So I want to know. Can I just buy an XP Home upgrade disk to upgrade my inactive operating system or do I have to buy the 200 dollar copy, or this copy ?

Keep calling, you already purchased a license why would you buy another one? You are entitled to free updates and service packs.

The computer generated voice doesnt understand "I own this legally" I called at 8 pm (thats what the problem came up) and at 4 pm central time. Id think they would be open to customer service at those times

Don't give up . If you Activated 2 in less than 6 months Microsoft will force you to talk to a rep. Don't give them more $ . Just persist.

I've activated it twice within the past year. Thats it. I pretty much have to give up. You cant get help from a company who doesnt answer.

If you punch in jibberish over and over again, you'll be taken to an agent. There's always someone else on the other end.

I finally got taken to an agent, three times. They told me that they couldnt reset it so I just typed in the code several times and it worked. XP is activated but now my internet to that computer doesnt work. I used my motherboard disc to set up the nVidia ethernet but there is no "Local Area" connection. My network connections page is empty. How can I fix this?

Sometimes it just takes a little nudge. :)

I hate deailng with those automated phone systems!

Rick said:
If you punch in jibberish over and over again, you'll be taken to an agent. There's always someone else on the other end.
Thanks for the tip. I tried saying "can I talk to a real person," but always had to deal with the automated thing and then someone in India I can nearly understand.

I change parts in my rigs enough that I end up calling them every month. There has to be a better way!

This is exactly how you do it
After her first question press 1
Second question press 1
After that just hold 0

Thats what one guy from microsoft told me to do... so if that doesnt work just hit numbers and yell into the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back