XP won't power off after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazeman85

I have XP Pro SP2, and my computer has no trouble at all with restarting, but it will not power off when I shutdown. When I shutdown from the start menu or using the shutdown.exe command, it closes out of windows, but then my pc just sits there with the power on and a blank screen. Then I have to hold in the power button to shutdown. It's annoying, since I'd like to schedule my computer to shut itself down.

I'm going to see if I can find anything useful on that link to the ms site... I now believe it's probably not usb. However, it just started out of the blue so I can't be sure. My mobo has a an ACPI compatibility issue, but this has not caused this problem in the past...

Most recent system changes: added usb 2.0 card, 2nd hard drive

I'd appreciate any ideas...

Thanks.

Specs:
Athlon Thunderbird 1333
Iwill kk266-r motherboard (with Award Bios)
Geforce 4 ti4200
1 Gb PC133 (yeah old school)

other: wintv card, audigy, usb 2.0 pci card... etc...

There is a fault in SP2 seen it happen a few times, I think there is a windows update for it but not got the details for the update to hand, otherwise try flashing the bios.

I had to replace an old AMD Athlon motherboard to correct this "no shutdown" problem under XP, SP2... The customer wanted to upgrade the system, so it wasn't a big deal

there's a known problem for XP/* with SoundBlaster -- does this fit you?

Thanks for all the ideas... this should help me with troubleshooting... First, I'll try removing the usb card when I get the chance. I've had SP2 for a long time and It didn't cause any problems with shutdown before. I do have an Audigy, though... although this did not cause the problem before. I recently had to replace my boot.ini with a backup (works fine now), and I most recently installed Ubuntu Linux on a secondary hard drive (I can choose to boot to either OS)...don't know if this additional info helps.

Thanks.

Hi, 1st post here

I'm having the same exact problem with my laptop. I have an eMachine 6805 and i just re-formatted. Did a nice new install of WinXP and it shut down without problems. Went ahead and installed SP2 and it will not shutdown since. Only reason i reformatted was because of the shutdown issue. I have nothing added to the comp....using the touchpad and didn't install anything yet, system is barebones.

"Googled" and tried a few things to no avail (thats how i found this thread). I'll keep looking and if i happen upon a fix, i'll post back. Please keep those ideas comming.

close all programs before SHUTDOWN. Also physically disconnect any Ethernet
cable and/or hangup your ADSL connection.

jobeard said:
close all programs before SHUTDOWN. Also physically disconnect any Ethernet
cable and/or hangup your ADSL connection.

I don't have any programs installed and nothing is running if i hit "Ctrl/Alt/Del".
Laptop isn't even hooked up to the internet.

Ok, problem solved. Got it to shutdown and i think it was the BIOS update that did it.

The BIOS update date from eMachines had me confused since it was from 12/04. I thought i had that version installed already but apparently i didn't. I guess they no longer offer updates for it so i have it saved.

Also updated sound and video drivers.

Spazeman, i guess i can recommend an updated BIOS flash and new sound/video drivers to boot. Good luck.

Thanks, I already have the newest BIOS flash available for my motherboard (which is not that new). So, I will definitely try new video/sound drivers as well as unplugging ethernet. So far I've had no luck with changing bios settings, and I have had no luck after disabling the usb power saving. It's not a huge inconvenience, but I'll keep trying things.

I just had a powerdown problem on one of my old P3s This is what did it for me.

"When Windows XP won’t powerdown automatically, the APM/NT Legacy Power Node may not be enabled.
To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View.
Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.”
If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node.
Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem.
Or, to check the other side of the APM/ACPI coin, open the Power Options applet in Control Panel.
If there is an APM tab, make sure the “Enable Advanced Power Management Support” box is checked. (MSKB 313290)"

Very good troubleshooting page HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back