xp won't shutdown unless you end task on regedit twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
After upgradind me to xp pro I have to end task on regedit twice to be able to shutdown, I have no virus, I have run spybot s&d and norton win doctor, run panda active scan to ensure no virus and have norton av installed and working which found no virus.Ran msconfig to see if it is runnig and it is not. What's up?

Have you been messing around in the registry?
Did this start the first time you tried to shut down in XP? If not, then try to restore to a point that is before it started doing this.

BTW :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

You know, I think I've read that exact same post before... about 3 years ago. I can't remember what I said... ;)

WHY do you have to open regedit to be able to shutdown? Do you mean you have to launch this program and shut it down twice before your machine will log off??

What's UP, you ask.... I have no idea.

xp shutdown

No editing the registry, just had a couple of trojans, which panda active scan killed, and this was an upgrade from ME and no restore point to keep the trojans from coming back.

Try downloading msconfig and removing any entries for regedit. It seems like Windows is running regedit on startup. You might want to try making a batch file to kill regedit, then shutdown. I haven't tried personally, but you might be able to find it on google.

edit: Just try this in a .bat file...

@echo off
TASKKILL /S system /F /IM regedit.exe /T
TASKKILL /S system /F /IM regedit.exe /T
SHUTDOWN

It should kill regedit, then shutdown immediately.

edit (again): This only works in XP Pro.

Coming from ME, check the contents of Autoexec.bat and Config.sys (in your root).
Also, it is disruptive to either AV-program to have more than one of them running. Stop Panda altogether if you like Norton, or vice versa.
You will also need to clean your pagefile, and delete any restore point files (left-overs from ME?) to rid your PC of returning Trojans.

Run both Adaware and Spybot (update them to the latest versions before you do so). Then if you still have Trojans, run HijackThis and publish its report here, do not yet do anything else in Hijackthis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back