Xp works great yesterday but not today

Status
Not open for further replies.

skotters

ok first i'll have to make a little note. i have just reformatted my hdd and installed xp home. I have just bought new parts. I have not connected my pc to the internet at all. Yesterday I got everything up and running great. It stayed on for more than 12 hours and I played doom 3 for a couple hours. Today when I started it up, I fooled around with some video settings in doom 3 and then my sound went wierd and cut off. then my system froze. i restarted and windows froze right when the desktop came up. I tried around 10 hours later and it started up and only lasted for around 5 min. Instead of turning it off I let it sit and moved the mouse. Nothing. later i looked at the screen and noticed the cursor had moved. It would move veeeeery slowly. so slow that it would jump from one end of the screen to another. then it would freeze again. then i could move the mouse again. its wierd and I have no idea what is causing my problem. I'm not sure if my hardware could be causing a problem. I bought a huge fan for my cpu and it works fine. I'm just really really stumped considering it worked for such a long time yesterday but not today. could it be my psu (400w)? video? help.

ath xp 2700
radeon9600 agp8x 256 (gigabyte)
1gb ddr400

I hope it's not possible to damage the video card with any settings within Doom3...I guess not, though.
If you haven't done anything else you might just have been lucky yesterday.
You should boot in Safe Mode and check if you have any of those slowness-problems there, too. If not, chances are high it's a driver issue.

Howdy! Welcome to TechSpot

skotters said:
ath xp 2700
radeon9600 agp8x 256 (gigabyte)
1gb ddr400
What kind of MoBo and hard drive?
What ver windows, xp home sp 1,2 or no?
I think Abraxas may be right but it may also include
hardware mis-configuration + drivers.
Post back and G'Luck

Please Help to Melt !!

my windows xp pro 2003 .... freezes right in the middle of surfing the net ......and what is funny is that i can tell its about to freeze cause it is usually preceded by a clicking sound form the cpu.....and after freezing i have to restart nothing else will do please advise :knock:

apell said:
my windows xp pro 2003 .... freezes right in the middle of surfing the net ......and what is funny is that i can tell its about to freeze cause it is usually preceded by a clicking sound form the cpu.....and after freezing i have to restart nothing else will do please advise :knock:

That's not your CPU clicking, as CPU's have no moving parts. It's probably your hard drive making the noise right before you freeze up. I would run some diagnostics on your hard drive. The best way to do this would be to go to the website of your hard drive's manufacturer and download their diagnostic software (that way it's specific to your hard drive). If they don't offer any (one brand--I don't remember which one--doesn't make such software for their hard drives), I think there exists general (third-party) hard drive diagnostic software out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back