XP3200 Not working on A7N8X-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Asus A7N8X-E dlx mobo which has been working perfectly with an Athlon XP2400 and an XP2600 CPU.
I picked up an XP3200 CPU recently but cannot get it to work properly.
Initially could not see anything on video but by setting the AGP speed to 66MHz instead of AUTO got video (I had to put the XP2600 in to adjust this).
Problem now is that the CPU will not even complete the BIOS boot-up phase. I have tried at 200MHz FSB and even at 166MHZ using manual versus AUTO setting for most mobo and memory settings but always the same and the CPU freezes after about 30 seconds.
Does not matter whether I leave at the boot pic, press tab and watch full memory test (gets about 20% of the way thru 2GB DDR memory) and go into the BIOS settings.

would be greatly appreciated any help/ideas

hi westaust55 and welcome to Techspot :D

since the XP3200 is the fastest processor available for socket-A, is was most likely made after your A7N8X-E was made. for this reason you may need to update your BIOS to properly recognize the CPU. have you downloaded and flashed to the latest BIOS?

Hi KingCody,
A bit more info (always had to know how much info to put into a posting without making it look daunting)
I had already upgraded to the 1013 BIOS from Asus when running with the slower CPU's. The initial boot screen shows the CPU as XP3200+ while the mem test starts.
Previously with Sisoft Sandra the mobo shows up as Rev 2.0. (Did not look at the actual mobo)
I should also mention that I have 2 x 1GB Corsair VS1GB400C3 Value Select PC-3200 DDR RAM. With the XP2600 cpu these run fine at both 166 and 200MHz memory speed.

Hi all,
A a close out to my original problem, I have sourced another 400MHz (2 x 200) FSB this time as an XP3000 and this is working perfectly well.
Even the COrsair VS memory would operate at faster/tighter settings than the manufacturer specifies for 400MHz FSB.
So in summary, it was definitely a faulty CPU in the first instance. The seller of that CPU gave me a full refund including postage so happy with the outcome from my end.

good for you. That is an excellent classic board. I have the K7N2 Delta2 platnum. Runs fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back