Yellowish Tint to the Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

So just yesterday, my old eMachines started giving me a flashing yellowish tint. As everything is fine and dandy it would become a bit yellowish and then back, randomly.

The eMachines has a Gigabyte board with a GF 6100 IGP (obviously it wasn't there before ;) ), and I'm using the eMachines monitor (CRT, 17").

Ok, so this issue is 1 of 2 things:
Monitor -> Bad (heck, it's been used for 7 years straight)
-or-
GFX -> Bad (it still works fine and powers through FEAR and FarCry....)

Now the interesting thing was that after re-connecting the VGA cable it stopped for about a day. And today it happened again. And so I'm strongly leaning towards the monitor being bad. (I can't use another cable, it comes directly out of the monitor itself.)

What do you think?

rik said:
A new crt is the way to go!! They are well cheap these days.
So... it most likely IS the monitor, like I thought.

Anyways, I'll most likely get a 17" LCD. It takes up much less space and due to not being so huge it looks like the screen is much bigger. The eMachines is my parents (sometimes my brother or I use it if one of us is using my gaming rig).

It's entirely your choice, but personally i cant see the point in a flatpanel when here in the uk you have to spend £200+ to get the same picture quality as a crt costing £40!!!

It also sounds like your crt could easily be fixed by fitting a new cable to it. The problem is tho, if you are not %100 sure of what you are doing then you should NEVER open up a crt as there are some seriously deadly voltages in there!!!!

rik said:
It's entirely your choice, but personally i cant see the point in a flatpanel when here in the uk you have to spend £200+ to get the same picture quality as a crt costing £40!!!

It also sounds like your crt could easily be fixed by fitting a new cable to it. The problem is tho, if you are not %100 sure of what you are doing then you should NEVER open up a crt as there are some seriously deadly voltages in there!!!!
Hmm... I don't know if it's just the cable. Now it's stuck in it's yellowish tint, no matter what I do (removing, twisting, straighting out, w/e) to the cable.

If it's gonna stay that way, you could use the on-screen display (those buttons on the front of your monitor) to change the color tint. Make it less yellow and hope it'll even out. (at least till your monitor truly kicks the bucket).

Have you looked inside the VGA connector running from the CRT?

A single, bent pin can change the color of a display. I am willing to bet you are missing pin #1, which is the red pin. That leaves the blue and green pins working with no red, which if I remember from kindergarten, might make yellow? :)

Look for bent or missing pins. There are a couple of pins that are commonly missing by default.

VGA connector should look like this. My guess is pin 1 is missing or bent. Pins 4, 9 and/or 11 are commonly left out, so if these are missing, no worries.

--- Top of connector, (widest part of the trapezoid-shape) ---
--- Botton of connector (smallest part of the trapezoid-shape) ---

Below - a poor representation of the shape. Top is the widest, bottom is the skinniest.
---------------
\ . . . . . . . . . /
\ . . . . . . . . /
-----------

More likely, it's a bad cable... the monitor cable that connects to the computer. Some of these cables are screwed to the monitor, some are hard-wired to the monitor. This error can be caused by a poor solder connection from the cable to the video circuit board inside the monitor. I suggest replacing the monitor. This is the easiest thing to do.

Rick said:
Have you looked inside the VGA connector running from the CRT?

A single, bent pin can change the color of a display. I am willing to bet you are missing pin #1, which is the red pin. That leaves the blue and green pins working with no red, which if I remember from kindergarten, might make yellow? :)

Look for bent or missing pins. There are a couple of pins that are commonly missing by default.

VGA connector should look like this. My guess is pin 1 is missing or bent. Pins 4, 9 and/or 11 are commonly left out, so if these are missing, no worries.

--- Top of connector, (widest part of the trapezoid-shape) ---
--- Botton of connector (smallest part of the trapezoid-shape) ---

Below - a poor representation of the shape. Top is the widest, bottom is the skinniest.
---------------
\ . . . . . . . . . /
\ . . . . . . . . /
-----------
Hmm... Looked, everything was fine. Except 2 pins were missing, 9 and oddly 5...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back