Mobo: KT7a 133 with latest via drivers + testdriver Fix
Graphics: GF4 MX 460 128mb running on nVidia 45 drivers
Ram: 512mb 133
HDD: WD40 Gig ATA100
Sound: SB PCI 512
Directx: 9.0B
O/s: Windows XP Home with SP1 & SP2
Internet: Blueyonder Broadband 1MB connected Via Nic card
Other Bits: Second NIC card for Network Fujitsu 15in Monitor.

Ok I think the problem is to do with my GF4 card I brought it in July of last year and it has worked perfectly for games, interent etc until last week.

The problem:

After 10-15mins of running game/s the game drops down to about a frame per second with mulitcoloured triangles on the screen that slowly move in all directions you can still make out the game in the background and the mouse pointer slows down to flickering you can just shut the game down and then all ok the computer runs fine but it will not run a game until you reboot it then it will do the same but in about 2-3 mins when running a game.

Things I have Done:
I have tried six different drivers with no difference.
I have removed the card and applied new cooling paste between the fan and the gpu with no difference.
I have tried the card in my second system and it cause's the same effect after the same time period.
I have also reinstalled windows and all drivers as it was due anyhow but the problem remains.

BUT it is not compatable with the second motherboard so there maybe a problem there causing my results to be out.

This system also runs DX 9.0B this is the only thing I have change in the system before the problems started.

SO do you guys think that it means my GF4 MX is in up stream in a boat with no paddles closing in on a waterfall or a problem with DX9.0B that is causing the problems.

I thank anyone who replies inadvance

Spunkmyer

Thanks guys for the help.....

I do have a fan on the heatsink and it is running.........

Well I think I might have sorted it, as a last attempt I thought I would pull the whole thing apart as I had nothing to loose.

I cleaned all the fans and removed all heatsinks from cpu,gpu and motherboard cleaned the paste off and repasted them, refitted the fans etc, cleaned all the dust form under the motherboard and out of the PSU including the fan.

I then rebuilt the system and ran UT2003 or should I say Played for about 1hr with no problems.

As UT2003 is a demanding game I thought as it would crash after 15mins this is hopefull.

Am I any wiser to the problem yes I think I am when I cleaned the fan that sit's on top of the heatsink on the graphics card, I noticed that one of the small wire that goes in to the small white connecting block seemed to be about to brake off form the block and I thought that maybe the wire was not making a good contact and the fan was power up then down as the connection was being lost thought small vibrations from the fan and other parts in the case.

Any how after some maintance the wire is restored to a good connection and so far all seems well.

Spunkmyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back