yet another BSOD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamy_Goodness

hi guys...

hope there is somebody out there that can help me:

my Blue Screen msg is as follows "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

I have done a bit of digging and it seems that there is no hard-and-fast rule regarding this problem, but maybe the experts can shed some light.

Platform is as follows (New installation):

Intel Westchester 965WH Board
2.8 Ghz DualCore Pentium D
2 * 1GB Patriot DDR 800Mhz (running dual channel)
On-Board x3000 graphics
On-Board Sigmatel Audio
On-Board NIC
Firewire disabled
BIOS Updated
Windows XP with latest mobo drivers.

My initial guess was RAM, as it only seems to happen while gaming, and not "normal" operations. 1st time was playing C&C Zero Hour - the machine would shutdown (or go to BS with above-mentioned msg) and I'd get a 3-Beep error msg, which supposedly means crappy RAM.
Gonna try and swop RAM tonight - Using 512MB GEIL on another box.

Also I noticed that the ICH is running quite hot, sometimes hitting 90 degrees celsius, which seems a bit excessive. CPU with stock cooling hovers around 50-60.
According to Intel Desktop Diagnostics, the ICH is within limits, but still seems a bit hot to me. North and Southbridge using stock heatsinks.

So now I'm not too sure if it's RAM or overheating or both (or maybe none of the above?!)

i suppose I will be able to eliminate the RAM option once I swop the modules.

any ideas out there? I haven't included dumps as i'm not sure where to find them....this is the first time i've run into problems like this!

:)

This is how I get my Minidumps (there is probably a simpler way to do this but I haven't a clue as to how :eek: ): Go to C drive > go to Windows File > find Minidump file. I usually make a temporary folder on my desktop screen and transfer my Minidumps for easy access.

When you post back to this thread attach Minidumps like you would any file or document; the best way is to put them in a Zip format if you can, especially if you have a number of them.

Route44 said:
This is how I get my Minidumps (there is probably a simpler way to do this but I haven't a clue as to how :eek: ): Go to C drive > go to Windows File > find Minidump file. I usually make a temporary folder on my desktop screen and transfer my Minidumps for easy access.

When you post back to this thread attach Minidumps like you would any file or document; the best way is to put them in a Zip format if you can, especially if you have a number of them.

thanks Route44! - have found and attached the last 4 minidump files in zip format.

(attached first pair, will post second pair in next message)

hopefully the experts can make sense of these files...

by the way, i've dropped my ram speed from 800 to 533, and the machine seems 100% stable now! Gonna try and get me hands on another brand of RAM (identical config) and try to recreate the problem...

stay tuned for the next episode.

What RAM were you using? Your first minidump definitely pointed to Memory Corruption. Since you dropped down your RAM speed and it brought stability, have you had any other crashes since the four Minies you attached?

Memory issues can cause all kinds of issues.

Route44 said:
What RAM were you using? Your first minidump definitely pointed to Memory Corruption. Since you dropped down your RAM speed and it brought stability, have you had any other crashes since the four Minies you attached?

Memory issues can cause all kinds of issues.

at 533 I haven't had a single crash - pushed it to 667 a while ago and also 100% stable.

i'm using Patriot Signature Line DDR2 800 : 2 * 1gig running dual channel.
(sofar I haven't come across any known issues with intel boards and this particular type of RAM)

next thing i wanna try is run both modules on the same bank and also swop positions to see if it makes any significant difference (obviously at 800 to try and keep all other variables the same)

seeing that it only happens with games combined with the fact that i'm still using the on-board x3000 graphics chip, it looks like the RAM is the number 1 suspect, as 256mb is set aside for video.

i hope it is the ram so i can put this thing to bed. also, i really don't feel like taking my whole box apart to get the mobo out!

Well now that you mention games I came across in your other Minidumps igxpdx32.dll which has to do with games but I can't really find much on it.

See how your gaming goes with your RAM set at 667.

update....

Route44 said:
Well now that you mention games I came across in your other Minidumps igxpdx32.dll which has to do with games but I can't really find much on it.

See how your gaming goes with your RAM set at 667.

Route 44:

Thanks for your help man, finally tracked it down to one of my 1gig sticks being faulty. Has been running flawless for a few days now on the other gig (at 800mhz)

The strange thing is that Microsoft RAM test and Mem86 didn't show up any errors - I believe that a faulty DIMM can pass these tests (?)

once again, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back