Yet another cry for help with overclocking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adhmuz

Well to be honest I'm able to oc my P4 630 3.0GHz to 4.0GHz, this is done by changing my fsb from 200 to 266. My ram then gets switched to 266 mhz down from 400 mhz and does not work in dual channel (I'll live with that for now) with these setting its boots perfectly fine and I can get to the bios, as soon as it trys to load windows it crashes shows an error message and reboots by itself, I got it to show the error which code is

Stop:0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0x804DA2C0,0xF789E4BC,0xF789E1B8)"
Along with saying there was a fetal error and windows was stop to prevent damage blah blah blah....

If anyone knows of a way to fix this it would be much apreciated to hear from you

Thank You

I've seen that code way too often, is it the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" crap?

Possible RAM problem. Might need more volts there, or something or another is not right with them (which is why your dual channel is disabled, and frequency reduced).

I'd bring the system back to stock, and see if that problem fixes itself. I don't see any reason at all why your dual channel is disabled though, other than one piece of RAM has malfunctioned.

At stock everything it runs fine, thats not the problem though nice to know, the ram I'm using is basic Kingston Value ram CL3.0 and I think thats what it said the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" thing, I'll try it with one stick at a time and play with the voltages maybe it will do the trick.

Well after some simple yet effective test I have determined that one of my chips of ram doesn't work at 266MHz the way it should, works fine as is but with any atempt of ocing it just hangs, my other chip however works perfectly fine when oced though the hit in memory bandwidth is too great to make the oced cpu worth while. 2GB Dual channel DDR 400 MHz with 3.0 GHz CPU is much better than 1GB Single Channel DDR 320 with 3.9 GHz CPU (I think at least)

You can always change the CPU/RAM ratio, so the RAM is not overclocked, while your CPU is overclocked. Of course, you will not get as big an improvement on your system performance, but any extra "free" performance is always good :D

I wasn't aware you could manly adjust the CPU/RAM ratio, maybe my mobo doesn't support that, and for sure any improvement will be better than none at all. So any tips on how to go at doing that would be very nice. Thanks

Hmmm, there should be a lock available somewhere near the BIOS. My BIOS shows at the overclocking page itself.

If what you mean by this is the option to pick your ram frequency I've tried that, that won't boot at all, really strange because with a FSB of 266MHz DDR 200MHz should work at a 3:4 ratio perfectly, if I leave it set as auto it picks DDR 133MHz which one of my ram chips doesn't run at, overall it doesn't make any sense and am starting to loose hope, again I'm not sure if I'm talking about the same thing as you. Again thanks for your help it's very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back