Yet another memory question by greatman05

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hello. I just recently bought a 512MB PC2100 memory stick by Kingston from Circuit City yesterday. I am just a grandma's house passing time until she takes me home. Here are the questions I want to ask:

-Is this memory comatible with my mobo? (click my name, click public profile and look under comp #1)

-Will I notice any performance difference with this much memory and Intel Intergrated Graphics?

-Would it be a good idea to combine the 128MB PC2100 Samsung memory with this memory?

I thank you kindly for your responses and patinence with me. :wave: :giddy: :confused: :suspiciou

it is compatable with your computer, however it is not advisable to combine memory types. This is the cause of much crashing / memory lagg issues.

You will probably notice a much faster loading time in games, but no in game performance issues really, unless you play games with high texture counts like Doom3 or Painkiller. The best thing you will see is faster loadings of Internet explorer and windows.

Recommend you SWITCH the old memory out and your new memory in. Boot up and see how it works.

The system is kinda outdated however.. there isn't much more you can do to upgrade it. I'm not sure what OS you're running on it, be aware that older versions of windows don't work well with 512 sticks.

benken2202001 said:
You will probably notice a much faster loading time in games, but no in game performance issues really, unless you play games with high texture counts like Doom3 or Painkiller.

What do you mean by this? Oh, and the system is running WinXP Home SP2. :cool: :approve: :wave: :grinthumb

You won't have a higher FPS (Frame per Second) count. That usually comes from a better video card.

Memory will allow your games to keep more information "on hand" so that it doesn't need to access the hard disk each time it needs to load a texture. So you'll load maps and levels faster, but while ur actually playing, you won't see any difference.

your answer is located in the FAQs section of this forum. Your ram may work, but only at the slowest speed of ram on your system. Then again, it may not.

Thank you very much... I already knew that I couldn't get any better graphics performance. I also knew this was the problem in generals: the game would freeze up and the HDD light would stay on for about 30sec-1min. Normally, this shouldn't happen. Another final question on this thread: The shared memory size in the BIOS options right now gives me 2 choices: 1MB and 8MB. What does this do, and what is the difference between the two? :suspiciou :confused:

To get the best FPS, change your computer with your grandmother! :haha:

Regarding the 1MB and 8MB, this means how much system RAM is allocated for graphics usage.
Set this to 8MB, it should provide somewhat better performance, but not too much.
Some time ago, I had the same videocard as yours, and I managed to play "smooth" at 640*480 resolution and 16 bit color.
Even with those settings, Max Payne 1 (a very old game) was lagging a lot!

Good luck!

If I add more memory, will that increase the amount of memory in the BIOS that I can allocate for the graphics card?

greatman05 said:
If I add more memory, will that increase the amount of memory in the BIOS that I can allocate for the graphics card?

No, it won't change any of the settings to allow highier values.

Thank you all for helping me with my questions. Well, tonight I am going to attempt the memory upgrade. Wish me luck!

I Did It!

YAY! I did the memory upgrade and it went great. I would still like to use my old memory module, so I want to ask this question: The Kingston 512MB Module I have has 3 Memory Speeds: 200, 166, and 133 mHz. My old Samsung 128MB module had memory speeds of 200 and 166mHZ. They both have the same latency timings at the 200 and 166mHZ speeds. Using this info, would it be a good idea to install the older module alongside the new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back