Yet Another Random Reboot Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyPe-ZeRo

Hey guys, new here although I am a long time lurker, anyway let me get to the point:

So yeah, my newly built system is having some growing pains --For no apparent reason it restarts, I doubt heat is an issue, though now i'll have an eye out on CPU Temp speeds, air conditioner + open case leaves me skeptical though.

My build is as follows:

Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (with Zalman 7000 or something as the HSF)
GA-K8NGMF-9 motherboard
Buffalo Technology 512mb 'generic' PC3200/DDR400 RAM
eVGA 7900 GT KO (revision)

As i've stated previously I doubt heats the issue, I have unticked the boxes in My Computer's advanced tab under Start up and Recovery. I'm clueless as to why it does this and I fix computers for a living.

Microsoft Event Viewer comes up with this little thing, if it's useful at all

Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 8054d5f0, parameter3 b2000000, parameter4 00070f0f.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Here are some useful screenshots:

forum1vl7.jpg

forum2ov9.jpg

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

A bugcheck of 9C usually means you have some kind of hardware failure.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Start by disconnecting anything not required to run your system. Just leave 1 stick of ram/video card/cpu/mobo/psu/hard drive. See if you still have problems. If you system then becomes stable, start adding parts one at a time and testing until you get crashes. The last part you added will be the culprit.

If on the other hand, your system is still unstable with the minimum of components, then the problem lies with one of those.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks, I read the stickied post and that seems logical, I only have one stick which is 512mb, however I do have another stick (512mb) but that is PC2100/DDR266 (I think), would plugging that in confuse the motherboard in anyway?

I can't run memtest due to me lacking a floppy drive cable so that's out of the question. I do feel that the RAM is at fault but I really doubt any of the newer components could be causing it to crash.

You could try using your other stick of ram, your computer may well run a little slower, but at least you`d be able to see if it was stable.

You can run Memtest68+ from cd. Download the pre-built iso version extract it once and burn the resulting file to cd as an image. Make sure your boot priority is set to cd-rom as the first boot device and retsart your computer with the Memtest cd in the drive.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks Howard, how long should I run memtest (should it come inconclusive) before I make a concise conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back