A Year Later, You Can Still Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

Jos

Staff
The "Use an Old Windows 7 or 8.1 Key" was the only way I could reactivate Windows 10 on my brother's after we reinstalled the OS. I have no idea why but it just wouldn't reactivate.

Windows 10's installation process had so many people complaining that I doubt they'll ever fully make it "not free".

Many people upgraded and the upgrade didn't finish, which ruined their HDD - or caused lasting issues - necessitating a reinstall.

All you have to do is call up Microsoft and they'll typically give you an activation key.
I did this with my Uncle's laptop when upgrading from Windows 7.

I myself have had almost NO issues with my Windows 10 upgrade from Vista (on laptop) and from Windows 8.1 (on desktop).

I love Windows 10.

I haven't had any blue screens of death.
Haven't had any spyware issues that weren't immediately defended.
Haven't had any hardware failures.

Core i7, titan X, 32GB of DDR4, Samsung 4TB SSD, Western Digital 1TB HDD, 3 monitors and a 50" 4K vizio TV.

CONSPIRACY THEORY:
My suspicion is that the crisis effort of Microsoft to get people to use Windows 10 is due to the American government and the NSA having talked Microsoft into including code in Windows 10 to make it easier for them (the NSA and our government) to spy on anyone using Windows 10.
With Windows XP and any other Windows operating systems since then, it would be too difficult (if not, impossible) to get this spy code into everyone's computer.
DISCLAIMER:
I have no proof whatsoever of my suspicions, only a gut feeling that this may very well be the case.

I am a video game programmer and IT technician of many years. Windows 10 does have bloatware they push and some abundance of communication in the background that doesn't need to be there but overall it's a good and stable OS. I created some batch files to go through and cleanup some of the settings, remove bloatware, and much more. I use these scripts on all Win10 machines I encounter with my job and they work well, although I add and remove things all the time. Anybody who is interested in checking out my cleanup scripts can ask, and I'll send you a copy. I also have tons of experience with Win10 issues if anybody has questions. As a side note: Never run random batch files without looking them over first! I expect people to at least be cautious of my files, although I can guarantee they are safe. Look me up on Facebook by searching for "PCcloud9 Tech News & Tips".

It's a solid OS, it just needs some tweaks!

Unless I'm mistaken, I've tried the assistive technologies bs & it never finished https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-denied.231744/ & here http://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/
Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

It's a bit of a pain but it works. Before that upgrade tool gets to 99%, you need to stop the Windows Update service. This upgrade tool starts the service once when downloading and again when "installing" but if it's running, it sometimes will get stuck at 99%. I've seen this a lot.

It's a bit of a pain but it works. Before that upgrade tool gets to 99%, you need to stop the Windows Update service. This upgrade tool starts the service once when downloading and again when "installing" but if it's running, it sometimes will get stuck at 99%. I've seen this a lot.
Yes, that is what happened to me,it got to 99% & stayed there for a loooong time. I don't really feel like reformatting my harddrive & doing a fresh install, I just want W10 back.

The Windows 7/8.1 key thing still works fine, since I have done it a few times since the "free upgrade ended".

I used the Win 7/8/8.1 key method to download Win 10 Pro on my Surface Pro 3 with Win 8.1 Pro. It never asked for an activation key number and I now have Win 10 Pro on my Surface Pro 3.

CONSPIRACY THEORY:
My suspicion is that the crisis effort of Microsoft to get people to use Windows 10 is due to the American government and the NSA having talked Microsoft into including code in Windows 10 to make it easier for them (the NSA and our government) to spy on anyone using Windows 10.
With Windows XP and any other Windows operating systems since then, it would be too difficult (if not, impossible) to get this spy code into everyone's computer.
DISCLAIMER:
I have no proof whatsoever of my suspicions, only a gut feeling that this may very well be the case.
You do realize government spying isn't new nor is it new to use it on devices or it's own people. It's been going on for a very long time. Well over 50+ years.

I used the Win 7/8/8.1 key method to download Win 10 Pro on my Surface Pro 3 with Win 8.1 Pro. It never asked for an activation key number and I now have Win 10 Pro on my Surface Pro 3.
That's because you already had a pro version. Any and all users that had a Pro version would also get windows 10 pro. You didn't have to do anything but install 10.
I did this with Win 7 Pro and went to Win 10 Pro, not a single issue. Been using Pro for 1 1/2 yrs.

The continued free (except for all the time you spend) upgrade to Windows 10 operates in Microsoft's own selfish interest to proselytize everything Microsoft like the Microsoft Store, Bing, Office 365, the Microsoft cloud, etc etc. With all this stuff to sell people and a vehicle to do it better than any other Windows, why not the free upgrade to Windows 10? If Microsoft pulled to plug in the free upgrade, they would be shooting themselves in their feet. Satya Nadella is smart enough to have figured this out. The free-upgrade-within-the-first-year was simply another, but less lame, ploy to get everybody racing to Windows 10.

Here is what I have found out installing Windows 10 many times over:
You have a Windows 7 Home product key, so you can upgrade to Windows 10 Home.
You have a Windows 7 Pro product key, so you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
Ditto for Windows 8.
If you have a Windows 8 or 8.1 system without a product key sticker, by arrangement between the name-brand manufacturer and Microsoft burns product key info into the BIOS. So when you upgrade one of these computers, the Windows 10 install ISO picks the right version of Windows 10 and activates it automatically.
I have no idea if, when and how to upgrade Windows 7 Starter or Windows 7 Ultimate. I do not see these versions very often at all.

The continued free (except for all the time you spend) upgrade to Windows 10 operates in Microsoft's own selfish interest to proselytize everything Microsoft like the Microsoft Store, Bing, Office 365, the Microsoft cloud, etc etc. With all this stuff to sell people and a vehicle to do it better than any other Windows, why not the free upgrade to Windows 10? If Microsoft pulled to plug in the free upgrade, they would be shooting themselves in their feet. Satya Nadella is smart enough to have figured this out. The free-upgrade-within-the-first-year was simply another, but less lame, ploy to get everybody racing to Windows 10.

Here is what I have found out installing Windows 10 many times over:
You have a Windows 7 Home product key, so you can upgrade to Windows 10 Home.
You have a Windows 7 Pro product key, so you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
Ditto for Windows 8.
If you have a Windows 8 or 8.1 system without a product key sticker, by arrangement between the name-brand manufacturer and Microsoft burns product key info into the BIOS. So when you upgrade one of these computers, the Windows 10 install ISO picks the right version of Windows 10 and activates it automatically.
I have no idea if, when and how to upgrade Windows 7 Starter or Windows 7 Ultimate. I do not see these versions very often at all.

Win 7 Starter will get you Win 10 Core and Win 7 Ultimate will get you Win 10 Pro.

CONSPIRACY THEORY:
DISCLAIMER:

look up metasploit and xp. It was trivial to get into xp systems, even more so after they stopped patching it.

Back