YOUNG LIFE CRISI(mcse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, after prolonging my first job (lift engineer) for 4yrs to long (17to21yrs) i decided to go travelling. Now returned (and refreshed) i am determined to persue something that i know will interest me, and here lies my dilema, i am a joe bloggs with computers, i have had a pc all my life and gamed, surfed the web and used it for multimedia purposes, but that is as far as my "knowledge" stretches. I really want to break into the I.T industry, so have applied and been accepted to Adventtraining.co.uk MCSE course, and a Career Development Loan will fund the £4450 costs. I'd really like to know if u think i'm doing the right thing(as that is a lot of money to pay back if it all goes tit up) but, i could be MCP qualified in a couple of monthsand hopefully get a job as a Technical support Administrator,or First Line Help Desk, and then continue to 'learn as i earn' gaining experience until i become fully MCSE certified!!?? i'm nearly 22 and want to start paving out a decent career for myself.
i know my questions are weak, but i'd really like some REALISTIC OPTIMISTIC AND CONSTRUCTIVE ADVISE. Thanks ever so much.

Jay

Arsenal4Life

The only advice I can give is this: Learn how to write! Nobody will ever take you seriously if you write at a 5th-grade level (which you apparently do).

If you find this offensive, good. I find your writing offensive.
If you find this helpful, good. I like helping people.

lithiumdeuterid said:
The only advice I can give is this: Learn how to write! Nobody will ever take you seriously if you write at a 5th-grade level (which you apparently do).

If you find this offensive, good. I find your writing offensive.
If you find this helpful, good. I like helping people.

That last statement has yet to be demonstrated. Correction, derision, condescension, and downright flaming seem to be the forte. Sometimes deserved, perhaps, but, nevertheless............ :)

U sad little muppet!!! i was conversing with a stranger in a factual yet jovial manner; no you have not offended me, and you certainly havn't helped me, you have just served to highlight what pathetically lonely and feeble men are to be found in the world of the web. u chopsy american ****!!

Please guys calm down, whats all this fuss about.
lithium, I don't see how his writing could have offended you, why did you take offense at it?

If BB's post has been edted and was offensive at the start, then I support you lith.
If you were being sarcastic, dont be in future, I made that mistake, its easy to be misunderstood and people here are quite fierce about kepping the forum peaceful

BB_TH14 said:
u chopsy american ****!!

Ok i find that offensive. Both of you guys need to go your seperate ways.

/rant

Now to you BB
I am not your life coach or your mediator, but i would say, do whatever makes you happy. Remeber you have a whole life of working ahead of you, so do what you think you can find somewhat interesting and feasable. Try and break up the monotony. (That is why i only do PC work on the side!)

Ok. What`s going on in here then?

Threads that turn into a flaming contest, don`t tend to last too long around here.

If you need to take issue with each other, may I suggest you do it via pm`s.

Regards Howard :cool:

Howard is absolutely right (as is AtK). Lithium maybe took a shot at you, but you backlashing at him because he's American isn't going to go over well (obviously). So maybe this whole thing you started here was a mistake, and you can retry and we'll just delete this thread and forget it ever existed. Regardless, stupid fighting in this thread will get this removed, and I will be the one to do it.

with the flameing over, lets get back to the original question at hand.......

Hey there, after prolonging my first job (lift engineer) for 4yrs to long (17to21yrs) i decided to go travelling. Now returned (and refreshed) i am determined to persue something that i know will interest me, and here lies my dilema, i am a joe bloggs with computers, i have had a pc all my life and gamed, surfed the web and used it for multimedia purposes, but that is as far as my "knowledge" stretches. I really want to break into the I.T industry, so have applied and been accepted to Adventtraining.co.uk MCSE course, and a Career Development Loan will fund the £4450 costs. I'd really like to know if u think i'm doing the right thing(as that is a lot of money to pay back if it all goes tit up) but, i could be MCP qualified in a couple of monthsand hopefully get a job as a Technical support Administrator,or First Line Help Desk, and then continue to 'learn as i earn' gaining experience until i become fully MCSE certified!!?? i'm nearly 22 and want to start paving out a decent career for myself.
i know my questions are weak, but i'd really like some REALISTIC OPTIMISTIC AND CONSTRUCTIVE ADVISE. Thanks ever so much.

Jay

Arsenal4Life

its good that you're going for something you like, and things that people are passionate about tend to lead to great things in the future.

however i do have a couple of advices..

- its good that your going back to study.. A4 cardboard papers with bold letters with your name and a shiny little (or big) foil star on the bottom will take you places and $$$$.. dont ever loose it....

- The world of IT is learning about technology.
The basics and how to do stuff (troubleshoot, code, admin, network etc..) is pretty much covered at your place of education, but the trick of the trade is experience and real life applications. Talk to people/friends who are already well established in the field, get pointers off them and stuff.. read up on tech news from around the globe and reading through this forum is also a good start (it probably has 100's more troubleshooting scenarios then what you'd learn about in school) and other forums as well.. read up on things that interests you, and things that buggers you at school..

so i say go for it.. and if you could, go higher.. masters and PhD's are magnets in terms of job offers and $$$........ :D

ps.. i use the word 'school' as a generic term for school, uni, college, etc..

...and if I can put just a bit more in there, remember that I/T education, like many other things, is not a goal but a continuing process. The technology's always changing. Keep up with it or get buried.

Nonetheless, congrats on your decision into the field and good luck with your journey there.

Anyone who takes themselves seriously enough to be wounded by sarcasm deserves it.

My point, of course, was that writing is a crucial skill to have for just about any job. Effective communication is a necessary skill in any job in which you must tell stuff to other people (which is basically every job).

Writing of the caliber of "U sad little muppet!!!" is the equivalent of coming to work in a food-stained t-shirt and ripped jeans and drooling on a customer. If I was a manager, I certainly wouldn't want someone like that representing my company.

Ok lets be real

How can you compare typing on TS, to work place manners? I think TS is much more informal.

lithiumdeuterid said:
Anyone who takes themselves seriously enough to be wounded by sarcasm deserves it.

My point, of course, was that writing is a crucial skill to have for just about any job. Effective communication is a necessary skill in any job in which you must tell stuff to other people (which is basically every job).

Writing of the caliber of "U sad little muppet!!!" is the equivalent of coming to work in a food-stained t-shirt and ripped jeans and drooling on a customer. If I was a manager, I certainly wouldn't want someone like that representing my company.

I thought the flaming/sarcasm was over. Obviously not.

SNGX1275 has already warned, that this thread is likely to be closed/deleted.

This has obviously had no effect.

I also said, that if you guys need to take issue with each other, do it via pm`s.

Again, this doesn`t seem to have sunk in.

I am therefore going to request that this thread is closed.

Regards Howard :cool:

At least i got my point across muppet! youv'e just implied that you were being sarcastic in your first post?? then you continued to say that your point was that writing skills are a necessary employment factor (which is f**kin obvious, but who was to know that i was going to meet judge and jury of the literature world on a tech forum) therefore i feel you are contradicting yourself and highlighting your stuttering personality,
so was i writing at a "5th grade level" or not
were u being "sarcastic" or not
you fall down on so many issues, just accept that your an embarrassment, and you should never have been so pathetic in the first place

Get a life shakespeare

Well we encourage for people to write properly here but that's another matter. The original intent of this thread has pretty much disappeared & I shall thus close it.

*Didou does the thread closing mojo dance*

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back