"Your account is disabled" but you know it's not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This problem drove me nuts on my VMWare XP guests and today, after the first reboot in about 4 months (following a build update), my VMWare XP host. Quite why I didn't remember the fix for the host escapes me.

Anyway, the problem is where you try to log in with an account which you *know* isn't disabled (in my case, I had other machines which I could log on to with no problem) but XP tells you it is.

Simply put, your machine has lost its connection with the domain. Or, more correctly, its machine account password has expired. You can prove that by trying to log in with a different a/c in the same domain. If that can't log in either, bingo.

To fix, remove the workstation from the domain and add it back. Ignore the prompt to restart after removing it - I've never needed to do that, but you *will* need to restart after adding it back in. You will obviously need to use an account which has rights to add/remove machines from the domain. If your machine is a corporate one, have a hack round in your registry: there's almost BOUND to be details of an account used to build the machine in there somewhere.

There's a registry hack to disabled the changing of the machine account password:

- Create a new DWORD name DisablePasswordChange in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Netlogon \ Parameters
-Assign it a value of 1

Restart again if you change/add this value (the default is '0' if the entry is present)

IIRC, there needs to be an equivalent setting on the domain controller for this to have an effect. Google for 'DisablePasswordChange' and knock yourself out

Like i say, you provided us the irrevelant information. This Techspot is for providing you the HELP you need, but we dont need yours. We have some smarter or expert member here MUCH smarter than us >.>

bushwhacker: I don`t think this is irrelevant info and obviously neither does Mictlantecuhtli.

Just because it`s not relevant to you, doesn`t mean it won`t be relevant to someone else who has the same problem. ;)

In any case, there`s no need to be rude.

Regards Howard :)

BTW: Hello VBScab and welcome to Techspot. :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
BTW: Hello VBScab and welcome to Techspot. :wave: :wave:
Thank you.

I posted here because this was (IIRC) the second Google hit I got with the search term (in quotes) "Your account is disabled". I figured that it'd be nice if someone else searching for that sentence came and found something that may be of use.

As an aside, BW's thought process may be completely out of whack. If he thought about it for a nanosecond, if this part of the site existed only for him and his like to provide information for lesser mortals, why bother with a forum or, if that's the chosen format, why allow guests to post? Surely it would just be, say, an FAQ or, like some others, just a bunch of links to MS KB articles.

Anyway, it's nice to know someone appreciated it.

Subject closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back