Your computer: Masculin or Feminin ?

truffles

Ello ello =),

Today in computer class . . . one of my friends brought up an interesting topic . . . about is your computer masculin or feminin ?

well . . . we usually call a ship ... like ~~> look at her . . . she is fast and safe

we took a vote on what they believed . . .

most of the females concluded that they call their computers male . . .

because of their usage and how fast it is . . .

most of the males have oppositely concluded that they call their computers female . . .

i usually refer to . . . look at her . . . well i don't know but to me it sounds like what it should be . . .

how does everyone else refer to their computer gender?

and does gender really matter ?

I've always noted that gender is a cultural thing. Fatherland, Motherland, Homeland, MotherEarth, etc.

Technological things are gender neutral, or could be androgynous!?

If computers were really a her... it'd be my girlfriend :p
...no need to go through the trouble of asking a real one out :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
My native language has genders for humans only. Everything else is just "it" or "them", no exceptions. Simple.
same here.
but if i were to give it a gender, i think i'll let it be a she...
would be boring sitting there, staring at some male all the time.

Usually the question is "Is my computer broken or working..."
If its broken I use a rude word which is associated with the male gender, if its working its just a computer... ;)

Originally posted by Arris
Usually the question is "Is my computer broken or working..."
If its broken I use a rude word which is associated with the male gender, if its working its just a computer... ;)

Same, and I assure you I really yel at it. I even bought a keyboard I could hit without breaking it. :D

Btw, go out with your computer? ...because a real girl is boring? :D

Originally posted by ToRN
Btw, go out with your computer? ...because a real girl is boring? :D

I will have to agree and disagree with you on this one ToRN. I enjoy the time I spend with my fiance, but there are times that I wish I was dating (well my computer, I guess) instead, simply because we are arguing about something stupid. But I am sure a computer would make a WONDERFUL date, if you really wanted it to be:)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

In Spanish, most words have a masculine or feminine attribute. Noted by the words, El (masculine) and La (feminine). And I believe that in Spanish the computer is referred to as La computadora. Giving it a feminine connotation.

And as Uncle El pointed out, this is probably a cultural specific situation.

Go there..... Go there in terror!

mine is a dark engine of destruction. it has no name. it has no gender. it simply is.

Re: Go there..... Go there in terror!

Originally posted by Phantasm66
mine is a dark engine of destruction. it has no name. it has no gender. it simply is.

I wonder what cooler you use to keep that Death Star running ... :p

I'm not sure what gender mine is but it has a serious attitude problem. Turning on in the middle of the night & launching UnrealT is not acceptable behaviour :mad:

If it keeps taunting I'm gonna format that grin of its face.

Re: Re: Go there..... Go there in terror!

Originally posted by Didou

I wonder what cooler you use to keep that Death Star running ... :p

I'm not sure what gender mine is but it has a serious attitude problem. Turning on in the middle of the night & launching UnrealT is not acceptable behaviour :mad:

If it keeps taunting I'm gonna format that grin of its face.

FIVE hard drives, baby!

(as of today!)

And in any case, the room shaking sound of nine inch nails is helping drown out everything else for now....

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Originally posted by PanicX
have a masculine or feminine attribute.
La computadora
l'ordinateur
Der Computer
il calcolatore
o computador

I actually had a girlfriend that was into computers too. Often she would actually sit right behind me & watch as I would play games & all ( if she liked them that is ;) ).

*Didou starts banging his head on the wall*

yes my last girlfriend was doing a PhD in computing science.... She is interested in PC hardware as well.....

i never really thought about it.. It is a rattling piece of metal. Thats about all.

I kind of feel that my laptop is a female and my desktop is a male.
I dont know why yet but I'll post back if I figure out why on this one.

Alright, here is my reasoning:

Laptop is a female because it is fragile, light, warm, quiet, sleek and reliable.

Desktop is male because it is heavy, strong, cool exterior, loud, in the way, big, always burping and loves to dring beer.

Man, this is a whacky thread...

Originally posted by svtcobra
Alright, here is my reasoning:

Laptop is a female because it is fragile, light, warm, quiet, sleek and reliable.

Desktop is male because it is heavy, strong, cool exterior, loud, in the way, big, always burping and loves to dring beer.

Man, this is a whacky thread...

Concur, but you gotta love this stuff!!!!!:)
Where does a bunch of these posts come from, or better yet, take off into. I don't know how many threads I have seen turned into something different than what it started out as being.
And I agree with you by the way.

My computer is a machine, a tool, it has no gender, nor a will of its own. i never hit it, yell at it, nor curse it, if some thing goes wrong it's either because I failed to maintain it properly, or due to a manufactering defect.

Back