Your favorite video game maps, visualized

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: In the general genre of open-world video games, whether they be first-person shooters, RPG, or something else, the game's geographical map is vitally important. Not only is it helpful to navigate from one location to the next, the size of the map often gives players a feel for the scale within the game that would otherwise be missed just walking around.

Someone—well actually several someones—made a video comparing various games and the size of their maps from smallest to largest. The sheets are rolled out one-by-one on a virtual table with the game's name, and the size of its geographical area in square kilometers. The virtual maps are roughly to scale, so they are easy to compare visually.

It is interesting to note that while it is intuitive to think that as a franchise progresses, its maps would get bigger. On the contrary, most titles have jumped back and forth between iterations where maps size is concerned rather than always taking the "bigger is better" approach.

There are some surprisingly large locales out there. You can probably guess the two games with maps that make the others look like specks in their worlds, but I won't spoil it by saying anything more.

Permalink to story.

Hmmmmm .... I haven't see any of them, of course I haven't looked either. Anyone got a good source?

Procedurally generated maps like Minecraft and No Man's Sky are kind of cheating. Not a map designed by a person/team, instead an algorithm which randomly places enough resources in enough areas to allow completion of the game. I have no skin in this game as I play both, but from what I'd heard, Daggerfall's map was rather on the big side and this seems to confirm that. Maybe one day I'll play it but I'm playing Morrowind and Skyrim now so Daggerfall will be later, much later...

That is exactly what I was thinking when some of those maps were unfurled with a *lot* of what looks like empty water/ocean.

Ditto. Several of those had a lot of water and/or empty non-playable spaces. Nevertheless, that was really well done. And great to see a shout-out to one of my favorite all-time games, Asheron's Call.

They'll have to add to the list the new Microsoft Flight Simulator coming out in August, which will cover every square foot of the world.

Ditto. Several of those had a lot of water and/or empty non-playable spaces. Nevertheless, that was really well done. And great to see a shout-out to one of my favorite all-time games, Asheron's Call.

They'll have to add to the list the new Microsoft Flight Simulator coming out in August, which will cover every square foot of the world.

No need to do the new one, the whole world has been available since fs 95 at least.

Back