Your First PC?

Cucumber

OK everyone, here i would like u lot to post your very first ever PC!
Mine was:

386 @ 33mhz
1mb RAM
220mb hrad disk

It was given to me by my dad when i was 9 (im now 15) because he upgraded to :
486 @ 66mhz
4mb RAM

(i later got this PC aswell)

Have Fun:D :cool:

When I started university I bought:
486DX2
4Mg ram
300mb hard disk

That was my first PC but not my first computer ;)

Mine was a 386/33 too. Well, I had an Atari before that, but that doesn't count I guess. Can't remember exact specs but it was something like 2mb RAM, 80mb HD, no soundcard, no modem, just a floppy drive (3 1/2 at least ;) ) and a 512k videocard I think.

PC? or first Computer?

First Computer:
Commodore 64
13" TV
Tape Drive
Floppy Drive

First PC:
300Mhz PII
48Mb RAM
8Gb HD
Intregrated 4Meg ATI Rage Fury Pro w/TV out
2x DVD
2x Burner

My first PC is the one that I bought about 6 months ago.

I have used many before that, but MY first pc is as follows.

1.2 GHZ Athlon T-Bird
256 MB RAM
ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder video card
Mitsumi 24x12x40 burner
AOpen DVD player
Maxtor 40Gb 7200 rpm hard drive
Onboard sound
and an SMC 10/100 ethernet card

"The only computer I have ever thrown out"

My Timex® Sinclair kit (1982) had a mighty 1k of memory & a blazing 3.25Mhz clock speed
AllComponents.jpg

+ all kinds of fun parts to play with.

well, if you are talking x86 architecture here, and not "what was your first computer?" then it was:

286 SX 20 MHz (I think!)
2 MB RAM
20 MB HDD
No sound card.
NO PCI BUS (thus ISA graphics card, ISA HDD controller card)
This was actually a good machine at the time which ran a wicked game of Nine Men's Morris....
DOS ONLY

next I upgraded to:

386 SX 33 MHz
4 MB RAM
50 MB HDD
Again no sound card
Again no PCI BUS.
Windows 3.1

Then I upgraded to

486 DX 2-50
20 MB RAM
800 MB HDD
Soundblaster original ISA
Unknown graphics card....
Windows 95

Then I upgraded to

Cyrix PR-200 Plus
16 MB RAM
3.2 GB HDD
Matrix Mystique Video Card PCI
Soundblaster 16
Windows 98

I can't be bothered going on....

Well inbetween the C64 and the PII I had a:
Mac SE/30 (can't be bothered with the specs, you can look them up if you care to).
and a Mac Performa 550 (see the SE/30 above)

8088 XT, 4.77 MHz
512K memory
20M hdd
5.25 DD floppy drive (360k)
Hercules/MDA display adapter (720x348, b&w)
10" black & green display
XT keyboard, no mouse, no soundcard
MS-DOS 3.30
Good old times.. :)

The first family PC in my house was an Apple II GS with no hard drive and a 15" Sony Monitor/TV. All I remember was that it cost 5,000 in 1987 and for games I had Bop'n Wrestling and Test Drive.

"My" first computer was a Compu-add 386sx 16mhz with 1mb of ram and a 20mb hard drive. It had a 14" monitor, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 drives, and a Panasonic KXP-1124 dot matrix printer. Once I got an Intel 14.4 external data modem I was hitting the BBS' everyday. In 1993 when I was a freshman in college, I had one of the fastest computers in my dorm. While others had Tandy 286's and Brother Word Processors, I was chugging along with my 386 playing Wolfenstein 3D and downloading all kinds of stuff from L.I.T.S. BBS.

Here is the "new" homepage for L.I.T.S.(Lost in the Supermarket).
I believe he shut the BBS down in 2000, but its memory lives on through this site. Check it out..Its kinda cool to see what people were doing before the internet as we know it now.
http://speakeasy.org/~jmarrs/index.html

My first one was an 80286 12Mhz with NO hard drives. Somehow I did manage to get 2 5 1/4 floppy disk drives with that system. Still remember the number of disks I had to swap to play Wing Commander 1 :D

Mine was a 386sx 16 Mhz, 5.25 and 3.5 drives, 80 meg hard drive windows 3.1 with a whopping 2 megs of ram, the first meg being hard wired, no sound or cd-rom or modem.

Speaking of firsts, anyone remember doing the BBS thing all night with 2400 baud ??

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Speaking of firsts, anyone remember doing the BBS thing all night with 2400 baud ??

Yes... It was on a dumb terminal the first time... Quite fun, until I managed to connect to a big company and gain administrator access... Then it suddenly got very scary! (I was 6 at the time....)

As for my first x86:
Dell Dimension xps p100c
Pentium 100
S3 Trio32/64
16Mb Ram
1Gb Disk
4x cdrom

I payed around 2200£ for it at that time (1996)...

I never knew you were an L33tHaXor MrGaribaldi.

I only got online with my first pentium (P60 which died so P75 which I dropped a HD on and fried so P100). Prior to that I had Uni access to the online world of BBS. My first was called Monochrome which still runs today ;)

My parents actually got their first computer after me, they got a 486 dx2 66 with cd and all. It is now sitting in my house, althought I have no idea what I will do with it. It has a whopping 512 meg hard drive. It's just collecting dust right now.

Originally posted by Arris
I never knew you were an L33tHaXor MrGaribaldi.

Well, I don't know about HaXor, but I were eLiTe back in the days... :) Though that was a long time ago...

I started using BBS' (again) around 1994 after a little break (2 years)...
Was at my friends house for ages playing (Jones in the Fast Lane springs to mind) and perusing BBS'...

When I finally got my own 'puter, my family gave me my own telephoneline so our regular wouldn't be busy all the time... I even managed to avoid paying for it :D (But I had to stay under 150£ a quarter...)

I remember my first computer. It was a Pentium 133. I loved it. Can't compare to those today, however :rolleyes:
Come to think of it, I miss it.

I wish I had an Amiga :eek:

I wish I had an Amiga :eek:

I still remember the first time I saw an Amiga. My computer teacher brought it to school and showed us a demo (similar to those that Future Crew made) and half way through, he could remove the disk and put in the 2nd disk while the demo was running. No interruptions whatsoever... Coolness :D

Originally posted by boeingfixer
My first experinence with the internet was on a 2400 with CompuServ. It lasted about 1 night then we canceled, we had no local number so it was long distance and was sooo slow on anything that had pictures.

Oh yes... Those were the ANSI days where TheDraw is your friend in drawing and BlueWave newsreader is your most commonly opened app :D

Now this goes way back, My first experiance with computers was in 1984, on the Apple 2e, I took programming on it in high school and loved it. To bad I didn't stay with it. I didn't touch another computer til I got my first for at home in about '92. Back in 84 I remember playing a GREAT game at the time, mabee you guys remember the name, it was called Castle Wolfenstein. SHOCK ?? Yes as in the same Return to Wolfenstein. Actually there was a sequal back in '84 too called Return to Castle Wolfenstein. So if you wanna go way way back, I believe the original Wolfenstein was the first FPS. Then in the '90's came the Wolfenstein 3D series that we all know started the FPS rage....just thought you'd like to know. ;)

Yeah thanks ID....
Can I have my life back sometime soon :D
I remember the RSI I might have suffered when swapping 13 disks to play Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga, and that was with two drives. I think I was more dexterous than a professional card player with my ability to grab a disk with two fingers from the pile ontop of the computer and switch it with one from the drive with one hand ;)
Anyone want to go back to the first Pong game consoles?
The were great. And then those grandstand game boxes which had tennis (just pong really), two player vs computer tennis (wowsers), basketball (pong with more walls and different out area - the baskets), football... those were the days :)

Its amazing how people think so fondly on their first PC.

In a sense, I think of them all as one, even although there is hardly a component in my current one that was there 12 months ago....

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
8088 XT, 4.77 MHz
512K memory
20M hdd
5.25 DD floppy drive (360k)
Hercules/MDA display adapter (720x348, b&w)
10" black & green display
XT keyboard, no mouse, no soundcard
MS-DOS 3.30
Good old times.. :)
I had one of these, maybe just a little earlier version, max hard drive was 5 meg, dual 360's (most stuff ran off a single floppy anyway), 640k ram, 2 meg Intel aboveboard (extend/expanded ram),a bunch of other high end cards, and a 300 baud modem, came with dos 1.1 I think
it was given to me by my father-in-law (bought it from lockheed, when his lab was upgraded to AT's) said at the time, the orginal parts (2 years before) cost around $11k US.
20 years ago this was high tech stuff, thank god times change!

Back