Zone Alarm Pro or McAffee Personal Firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveskater

Hi, my friend's recently gotten the internet (AOL) and asked me to go round to make sure everythign was ok like protection and stuff. I tried to install Zone Alarm Pro onto his machine but he already has McAffee Personal Firewall installed and it came up with a notice saying that Zone Alarm would not install with McAffee because of issues and the such.

Should i leave McAffee on there or uninstall it and put Zone Alarm Pro on? He already has AVG and the AOL stuff and i installed ewido yesterday but i just need an opinion on this because i don't know what McAffee's like. Thanks.

Both are very good, id stick with mcaffee as its already on there. Atleast it doesnt have that norton crap on it!!!!

ok, haha i would have removed it straight away if that was on there. he has Windows 2000 Pro at the mo and it keeps going quite slow when cpu usage is unser 25%. do you know if this is normal for windows 2000? if you don't know then don't worry to much cos he's geting xp soon
thanks though :D

Sorry, i don't use windows 2000 i use xp pro. Thing is, if its struggling with 2000 then its gonna have a nightmare with the much more resource hungry xp??!!??

yeah i use xp home too, i don't think i've ever used 2000 before. oh yeah, i didn't think of that :D all i really know about the pc is it has a 20gb hard drive 128mb ram, and the processor is an AMD Duron, it didn't tell me what speed in My Computer > Properties

probably the only thing that will help speed up things is to just do some clean up and maintainance (delete, defrag, chkdisk etc)....

yeah, i would defrag it and stuff but cos it's not my pc and i obviously don't have access to it all the time, i can't realyl do it. i might be able to explain it so taht it can be run whilst he's at work but i'll have to see next time i go over.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>scheduled tasks>add new scheduled task. etc.

Nifty usefull feature if you can't controll the PC or need automation. Just add the programs you need to run and when and you should be set (although i don't use it myself, so i don't know how exactly it works).. not as quick and friendly as the windows 9x/ME schedulers were (auto defrag/scandisk/cleanup) but more precise.

Don't forget to show your friend you're activating that feature or else he may get freaked out when it pops up out of nowhere :D.

chkdisk.exe and defrag should be in the System32 folder if i remember..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back