ZoneAlarm warning help Needed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejeanwearer

Hello My first time here:wave: ,
My ZoneAlarm is telling me to run Chkdsk because a file is unreadable or corrupt while I do a manual cache clean

I clear temp files and do all my scans and still get this warning message when I do a clean cashe,I was advised on the ZoneAlarm Forum site to run chkdsk,but I don't know how or what part of the below to enter and to get me started in fixing this.
C\Documents and settings\Mary\Local settings\Temporary internet files\Content IE5\OPKV5383
Any help please,Thankyou in advance :angel:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

First, you need to run a hard drive check, so do the following.

Click start/run and type chkdsk /f /r (note the spaces between chkdsk and the forward slash and again between f and the forward slash) and press the enter key. Follow the onscreen prompts and reboot your computer. Windows will check your hard drive for problems. Depending on the size of your hard drive, this can take quite some time.

Please let us know the results.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hello,
Thankyou for replying to my post,
I have tried to do as you have suggested..But I am being told this>
"The type of the file System NTFS cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
Woukd you like to scedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N ?.".
I was advised once before on another forum to do these steps and still I got the same message...and then on boot up my computer still says that it cannot do a check because of the file system being NTFS.
Thankyou again for any help with my problem.

That`s weird.

Woukd you like to scedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N ?.".

At the above prompt, type y and press enter, then type exit and press the enter key, reboot your computer.

See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

Ok, I want to check for a couple of things. First, go HERE and download the Hard drive utility for your hard drive. Test your Drive and see what the results are.

If everything`s ok, go HERE and follow the instructions on how to post a HJT log. Post a HJT log as an attachment and I`ll advise whether it`s clean or not.

Hello,
I really don't know what is happening on my computer I went into System Properties to see what my hard drive was and then to Device Manager and there is nothing at all in there showing...I have taken screen shots of what I see.
I am lost as to what to do next.

Sorry to be a nuisance,I just don't know which on the list in the link you sent me to..that I need to download and do a check with.

Thankyou for your reply,and the link you provided for me.

the link site says >

Step-by-Step Instructions - Downloading PowerMax

"NOTE: The PowerMax download is a self-extracting file.
After downloading to your Windows desktop, insert a clean formatted floppy diskette into your A:\ drive.
Double-click on the PowerMax diskette creator icon.
When the Maxtor pop-up screen displays, click on the "Create Floppy" option. "

I have no discs to copy anything to.
do I just download this to my desktop and run it,then wait for the results?.

There are two versions of Powermax.

The floppy version which needs a to be put onto a floppy disk and the computer booted with the floppy in the drive after making sure that the floppy drive is selected in bios as the first boot device.

There`s also an ISO version that can be downloaded and burned as an image to cd. The computer should then be rebooted with the cd in the drive. The cr-rom will need to be set as the first boot device in bios.

Here is a link to the ISO version. Your burning software will have instructions on how to burn an image.

Thankyou again for your reply,
I have quite a problem in being able to do a check on my hard drive,as I have no burning software.

Ok, do the following.

Download the powermax ISO version and save it to your documents.

Download the free Easy ISO programme from HERE. Unzip it.

Put a blank cd-R into your cd writer and cancel any screen that appears.

Double click the EasyISO.exe file and when the window opens click the iso menu and select burn iso. Close the window that appears and click the drop down list next to where it says drive. Choose your cd burner by clicking on it from the list. Click the ISO button again and choose burn ISO. Navigate to where you saved the Powermax ISO file and click on it, then click open. The burning of the image should start.

When complete, close EasyISO.

Reboot your computer with the cd you just made in the drive. If you see a message to press any key to boot from cd, press any key. If you don`t get any message or nothing happens except your computer boots into Windows, follow the instructions below.

Reboot your computer with the cd you just made in the drive and go into your bios. Find the boot options and make sure it`s set to boot from cd-rom as the first boot device, then your hard drive as the second boot device. Save and exit bios and follow any onscreen prompts.

Hopefully, you`ll now be able to run the Powermax programme. Read the instructionsa for using Powermax HERE.

Hello,
I am so sorry,but my previous post before wasn't right...I meant to say that I have no dvd writer or cd writer...all I have is a cd rom.
Is there any other way that I can do a hard drive check?.

Maybe get a friend to burn the iso image for you. Or, get some floppy disks and follow the instructions for using the floppy version of Powermax.

Other than the above, there`s nothing you can do to test your hard drive.

In the mean time, you might want to post a HJT log as per the instructions I gave you in my post#6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back