Zuckerberg agrees to appear before the European Parliament to answer questions regarding...

Polycount

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has, for the most part, seemed quite willing to appear before various government entities to answer their questions regarding the recent Cambridge Analytica data privacy scandal.

As such, it came as a bit of a surprise to see the CEO repeatedly decline the UK's recent invitations for Zuckerberg to appear before Parliament's Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee despite threats of a formal summons.

Arguably even more surprising than that, though, is the CEO's latest decision. Today, Antonio Tajani, president of the European Parliament, issued a press release informing the public that Zuckerberg accepted their invitation to appear in Brussels "as soon as possible."

It's not clear why the CEO accepted Tajani's invitation over the UK's invitation, but we've reached out to Facebook for comment on the matter.

At any rate, as you might expect, the European Parliament intends to ask Zuckerberg for a "full and detailed" explanation of Facebook's role in the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

However, Tajani also claims "relevant committees" will ask the CEO questions about the "potential impact" of Facebook's data protection policies on "electoral processes in Europe."

It's not entirely clear when this meeting will take place, but Parliament hopes they can put it together as early as next week.

Permalink to story.

Facebook sucks. They censor and ban you for three days if you use the word Trann* which I stated on a news article a few day's ago.

Facebook sucks. They censor and ban you for three days if you use the word Trann* which I stated on a news article a few day's ago.
then don't use Facebook. You were talking about transmissions right?

I will give him minor credit for maning up, however, I wonder whether he will be better understood in this arena.

I wouldnt have agreed to appear before any committee. If committee's have questions then certainly the ceo of a company can certainly question the committee also. Its something like a saying that goes "I dont believe in your authority simply because you arent intelligent enough or have the power to subject me to any type of punishment"

I hope this will be used to show what the new GDPR should mean to EU customers.
I'm afraid that most of them will just scroll through new regulations, choose "I want to be profiled" and click "accept" without really knowing the consequences and other options they have (e.g. google hid that well in their form). The more media coverage, the better for the case.

"Why go to the EU and not the UK?"

Seems pretty obvious to me: Brexit.

Right now, they are still members of the EU, the UK likely will be able to influence questioning this way. If they were staying a part of the EU, it would make sense to appear, because then it wouldn't just become the UK that would be 'off-limits' unless he wanted to testify, but all of the EU. Once the UK splits with the EU, he can just go ahead an ignore the UK if he never has a reason to travel there.

He probably doesn't like that Facebook will now have to deal with an additional set of regulations, and this is a subtle 'F-U' to them.

Please grill him on why they monitor cell phone microphones. Need a prime example? My buddy got a bug while in a conversation and was talking about possibly taking flight lessons. He had never searched anywhere on the internet nor posted about it. The next time he opened facebook, the first two advertisements were for flight lessons...

Please grill him on why they monitor cell phone microphones. Need a prime example? My buddy got a bug while in a conversation and was talking about possibly taking flight lessons. He had never searched anywhere on the internet nor posted about it. The next time he opened facebook, the first two advertisements were for flight lessons...
Serves him right for using fakebook. ;)

Of course, he is going to Europe, he will go anywhere they ask him to go as long its job-related. Tax write off. And he can go on vacation too.

Back