Can you adjust shared video card memory on a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoboy

I have an HP Pavilion ze4560us laptop. The video card is a ATI Mobility Radeon 7500. I have two sticks of 256MB RAM, 64MB of which goes to the video card. I'm thinking of getting a stick of 512MB to pop in there. What I'm wondering is, can I increase the amount of memory that the card gets? What I would like to do is up the video card to 128MB. So..

Question 1:
Can I even do it?

Question 2:
Would it work?

Question 3:
Would it make a difference?

Thanks,
TB

Yes, I can.

Actually I just discovered I can adjust it, via the bios. I can adjust to 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 MB. By default it is set to "Auto", which is 64. So now the question is will it make a noticeable difference?

That will not make a difference. if you have a 64mb card you can't change it. That bios setting is if your comp does not know the size so you can set it. :bounce:

you should also be able to change shared memory size from windows ati control panel.it should be under uma buffer size and select the memory size you wan tfrom there.i

hey the 2 brainiacs who posted after me....you forgot to read that this guy has a laptop with a shared memory.(you must have heard of it...come on....have'nt you????)you can change the memory in most cases from bios to 8-16-32 or 64.128 might be available if it is available in the bios now it wont just "become available" if you put in more ram,though it is rare to have a 128 mb shared memory interface on a laptop with ati 7500.sorry but there is no option to increase your vram to 128 if it is not availableright now.

and brainiacs ati 7500 doesnt necessarily mean he has a separate video card.ati makes igp(integrated graphic processor) embedded on the motherboard itself of laptop.and since it is getting quite popular in terms of laptop motherboards ati has added ati mobility,ati 7500 and 9100 embedded as just chips running and sharing systems ram.you can adjust how much memory you want from the bios easily without any hassels.

so now do you get it.

If you have 64mb you can't go up to 128mb unless your shared memory is 128mb. But you can go down to 32mb of what ever. :bounce:

what??????????????

"If you have 64mb you can't go up to 128mb unless your shared memory is 128mb. But you can go down to 32mb of what ever. "

well i dont think you understood me.this dude has an igp for graphics (onboard graphics).first of all igp's dont have any of there own memory like you have been stating.you are confusing it with video card for desktops think onboard graphics.they use the systems ram,a certain percentage of which could be allcoated to it.an igp doesnt come with any memory of its own what so ever,usually up to 64 mb can be allocated to it through the bios option.the option usually are 8,16,32,64. depending upon the chipsets.since this guy has 2 sticks of 256 mb ram he has 512mb ram on his system.the maximum that he can allocate wuld be 64mb even if he had 1 gb of ram.

so now do you understand...........hope this helps you.

OK now after i did some checking and read your post 3 times is a charm ! IT is set to 64 now it is 64 becuse of the amount of ram you now have this is why it is 64.. Increase your ram size and up it to 128 but after you install the new ram .

Will you notice a difference probbly a slight difference in video proformance but even you do increase the amount or ram to 512 -the 128 for video this will give you 385 left for your system this might decrease proformance of the os .

hope this helps you

tbrunt3 said:
YOur card is 64 it is auto detecting 64 this is high as it goes with the card you have...

No, He clearly stated above that in his BIOS it allows for 128 shared RAM.

It worked

I increased it to via the bios to 128, which left me 385 for system. IT WORKED. So now I will get a stick of 512 to replace one of the sticks of 256. Which will result in 640 MB system, 128 MB card. And thank you shadow_29, you appear to be one of the few of us blessed with a brain.

glad you all set bud Only took me three time to read the post right .... IT is heck when you get old blind and stupid all the same day (lol)

If you have a latop that has shared memory, and you increase its size in the BIOS, then more memory is made avaible for the video. I had 32MB set, then I upgraded from 256MB system memory to 1GB, and increased to 128MB video memory. Now, graphics and stuff run faster.

Please, will people try to check their facts before posting here. We have credibility issues to uphold.

Phantasm66 said:
If you have a latop that has shared memory, and you increase its size in the BIOS, then more memory is made avaible for the video. I had 32MB set, then I upgraded from 256MB system memory to 1GB, and increased to 128MB video memory. Now, graphics and stuff run faster.

Please, will people try to check their facts before posting here. We have credibility issues to uphold.
hi, and how can you upgrade to 128Mb like you said ? :confused:

Finally

My dad said something about this and for a while ive been searching everywere to get this info. finally ive found some guys that know it can be done. anyways, how can i check if my laptop has shared mem. i beleive it does. btw my vmem is like 32mb and my comp mem is like 7xx. i want to boost my vid card preformance. please im a noob(kinda) to this stuff, if someone can reply with a detailed summary on how to increase the mem from scratch.

please and thank uuuuu :)

if it has integrated graphic processor it is shared mem. there will be a spot to set this in the BIOS, although it is not going to make u're video a whole lot stronger or more powerful.

where in the bios

where in the bios am i able to do this. i dunt want to screw around in there so if someone could post exact steps into changing the mem, it would be greatly appreciated.

how?

technoboy said:
Actually I just discovered I can adjust it, via the bios. I can adjust to 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 MB. By default it is set to "Auto", which is 64. So now the question is will it make a noticeable difference?

hey man tell me how u do it. were do u go in the bios and wat do u change

mo2k2 said:
hey man tell me how u do it. were do u go in the bios and wat do u change

Hello,

I'm actually the guy who started this so many a year ago. I've long since changed emails/accounts, and by random luck was checking my old email and saw this.

Anyhoo, enter the bios (F2, though I assume you knew that) and then just go down to "UMA Video Memory". The pop should give you the choices "8, 16, 32, 64, 128", assuming you've got the same laptop I do.

That's it. Really.

Sorry this reply is so late, but I'd entirely forgotten about this post, and I couldn't remember the password to my old account.

Hope this helps,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back