Clicking "my computer" freeze everythin

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi mates
whenever i click on the " my computer " on desktop,computer freezes.
Even i save any file and searches for the path ( whatever thing requires access to my computer ) everything freezes.it started just recently.
even i tried fdisk,installed windows more than 5 times( after formating ).
Changed data bus from mother board to hard disk. even though everything freezes,

i have windows me,128 sd ram, pIII 667,40 gb harddisk ( 5 partitions ), cd writer-dvd rom and dvd writer
this time i dont have anything in my computer (nothign installed other than windows and norton 2001 ),but even though every thing
freezes as i click " my computer "

Any help ? ?

hmmmmmmmmmm...

Hi Jafa.

I remember that Windows Me has alot of bugs.
I worked with a few cases like that before.
As far as I know it is not recommened to have more than three partitions on one harddrive.
I have had only problems with more than three or even two.
Have you tried one partiton?
You can also try un-installing your mouse and re-installing it.
:suspiciou

hail to that!

I quite agree with Peddant!

dump Me!

Win 98 SE is alot better especially if you play games on the PC.

by the way:
(Did you try another mouse?)

:hotbounce

Yep, yep!

Win 98 is the best Gaming OS that I know.
Damn, if someone said windows is unstable, Win 98 proved them wrong!

All hail Win98, may the legend live on!
:giddy:

I think we should be trying to help this person with their install issues rather than hailing win98se. I do agree with the statements but it doesnt help this person get their pc working.

Also, the suggestion that over 2 partitions on one hard drive is problematic is just plain nonsense. Sorry but i have to say this in case someone else believes that nonsense. If done properly you can have 3 or more partitions.
However, under normal usage, for win98 and winme, 2 partitions or perhaps 3 is enough, 5 doesnt seem to be needed, unless your motherboard bios cant handle the hard drive, in which case you should be looking for a bios update.

jafa, if you want, i will help you as much as i can. Do you have a win 98se?
If not, winme would be ok.
But since you are having problems the first thing i would like to see is for your to copy your whole winme install cd to your hard drive just to make sure there isnt a problem with the install cd. I have seen that to be the case, where the os installed enough to boot up but didnt install properly as the cd was bad, so copy it to your hard drive just to see if the cdrom is good.
Or, if you are going to try win 98se install, copy that to your hard drive, once again, just to see that the install cd is good.
Do you have your mobo inside your case or on the bench?

Hi

thnx guys for your help

I have been using windows ME since 2001.
This is the first time it gave me this kind of problem.As i said earlier,I fdisk my hdd,only after that i created 5 partitions,b4 that i had only 3,problem started while i was using 3 partitions only.
Even my hdd is not making any kind of noises ( hdd do usually b4 going crash).
But just b4 xmas i drag my computer ( with table ) to new room.
Dont know if moving computer table cause this problem.

As u said mate, yes i tried installing ME with the hdd.even though same problem.
I scaned my RAM with dos based anti virus also ( all clear ).
But still same prob.
Now whenever i click " my computer ",system freezes and come back to normal,for that window.But if i click again on " my computer " it freeze again and normal.
One more thing my " cd writer- dvd rom " drive doesnt eject if empty.so i usually load blank cd in it.
Can i try windows xp in my system ? ?

The first thing to do in this situation is to do an online scan. You can try trend-micro at: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

The reason i mention doing an online scan is that whenever our system is acting up we can suspect a trojan or worm or some other malware. Further, standard antivirus progs; dont even catch all viruses and its harder to catch trojans,worms,etc, so we should all do an online scan once every week.

You mentioned moving your pc and then the problem started. In that case take each pci part, agp slot, and ram chip out of the pc, one at a time and clean the gold connector off. The gold connectors are called "fingers".
You can clean them with a pencil eraser.

You scanned your ram, but you must run a program like memtest to test your ram properly, and it could be a problem with your ram! When testing your ram, you MUST have only one ram stick in the mobo at a time. You must test them separately. What program did you use to scan your ram and did you scan one stick of ram at a time? You can google memtest.

I had a P2 450 with win xp running, and i currrently have a P3 733 that i use for testing and it has win xp pro on it. But you never know for sure if your mobo will accept win xp or not. The only thing you can do is try it and see. I have tried with other mobos and failed yet i have 2 old pcs running, so you just dont know. But you do want to have plenty of ram for win xp. You should have at least 256 mb of ram, and 384, 512 and 768 mb would be much better.

The items mentioned above could take care of the problem you are having with "my computer" and with your combo burner\dvd player.

If you have to resort to a reformat of the hard drive and install of a new os or re-install of current os, there are a few steps i would strongly suggest before doing that.
Do you have the latest bios installed on your mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back