0x0000007B blue screen error installing Win XP on my Dell XPS 600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Thank you for taking time to read this post. This is my first post to this group and I hope I can find some help as Dell has not been able to help me thus far. I've looked at previous posts on similar errors but those haven't helped me. Thus, I'll try my own post so I can answer questions specifically on my situation.

I have a Dell XPS 600 desktop. I had formatted and reinstalled Windows on the factory HD. The installation seems fine, but when it goes to boot up, I get the following blue screen message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed
hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then
restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBACC3524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have tried both repairing my OS as well as fresh reinstallations after boothing from my orange dell disc. Each time, the installation seems to run til the end but the final boot always causes the same error, always at the same time. I thought it was my original HD, so I purchased a new SATA drive. However, the brand new HD leads to the identical error message at the same time in the booting process. I've also updated my BIOS to the most recent one off the Dell website. Unfortunately, that has not made a difference. Now I'm thinking it's something else. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this? I can't get onto Windows anymore, even by Safe mode (I get all these lines about partitions when I try). I have the Nvidia DXG051 nForce4 SLI motherboard. I'm fairly computer literate, but not as much when it comes to opening up the box so any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

If you are using original factory equipment you should have no issues and you boot normally. If you installed an aftermarket drive, you could have driver issues. You need to install SATA drivers when putting in a SATA drive for the first time.

Thank you for the response. =)

I first tried it with the original factory HD that came with the computer. This didn't work. BSOD. Then, I tried it with the new SATA drive. Unfortunately, the results are identical for the two. BSOD. My HDs seem to connect directly to the motherboard. Is there another specific driver i need to find for SATA drives? Thanks!

faboo said:
Thank you for the response. =)

I first tried it with the original factory HD that came with the computer. This didn't work. BSOD. Then, I tried it with the new SATA drive. Unfortunately, the results are identical for the two. BSOD. My HDs seem to connect directly to the motherboard. Is there another specific driver i need to find for SATA drives? Thanks!

Interesting...
May I ask what the reason was to reformat the original?

Hello faboo

Wow! This is a rough one.

Normally, a driver causes your symptoms; but, since you did a complete (not "quick", right?) format of the oem HDD, that should not be the problem here.

Try this: Remover power cord, disconnect ALL cables/connections from fans, cd/floppy drives, HDD's, mouse, keyboard, etc. Remove memory sticks and gently wipe their contacts with LIGHTLY alcohol-moistened paper towel. Let them air dry.

Then reset your CMOS by moving jumper from Pins 1 & 2 to Pins 2 & 3. Count to ten, then put jumper back to Pins 1 & 2. Go here to see where those Pins are on your Dell XPS 600 motherboard(#15): http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps600/en/SM/techov0.htm#wp1059577

Now, re-install memory, re-connect HDD, preferably the original, floppy, mouse, keyboard, fans and their required connections. NOTHING ELSE. (NOTE: You do NOT need special drivers/software for a SATA drive unless you're doing RAID. Win XP provides generic SCSI drivers.) Reconnect power cord and power on the machine.

Immediately enter BIOS Setup by pressing "F2" (no quotes) repeatedly until you see the BIOS screen. Reset everything to "Default". Press "F10" to save those default settings, re-start and come back here to tell us that you have successfully booted.... I hope:)

Good luck.

-- JMJsquared

Problem solved by Dell TeamXPS

Hi Faboo, its been a while since your post. You probly solved it by now. So I am posting this for any one who might have the same issues and happened to come across this page. I had the very same issue after trying to format my xps 600. Luckly it was under warranty. Turns out the Windows XP Home Edition Service Pak 2 Reinstallation CD that came with my computer did not have the correct SATA driver so it kept looping and giving me the very same symptoms as you. Because Dell does not ship that model any more they had to make me the CD all over again with the correct drivers it took about 4 days to get. Note this is not the same drivers on there web site. Once the CD arrived everything worked like a charm. Also you might want to get the XPS 600 Rescoure CD that came with the system also. It has the additional drivers but that CD was alright. Now this is the Part Number on the Dell windows XP Home Edition Service Pak 2 Reinstall CD DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OTHER as they will not work because they don't have the right drivers.
P/N UD744

Wow, that sucks!!! I have the same type of problem. I'm trying to fix a computer for a friend he has the same damn error:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed
hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then
restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBACC3524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I can't even go into the windows anymore. Just a blank cursor that blinks. I tried to format it using Windows Xp and it seems to boot of the cd fine. Then it goes through its hardware checks and when it gets done, that screen pops up. I must have tried like 5 times already. I have no idea what the hell is going on. It has 2 sata drives that came with it. I'm not sure where to go from here. I tried using the recovery disc that i think came with it, it wouldn't even recognize the cd. Please help if anybody knows whats wrong with this piece of crap PC.

Can you get into Safe Mode by pressing F8? If you can try running a full HD diagnostics; I'm not talking chkdsk. You can get a free utility from your HD manufacturer.

Try just one SATA and see if that helps. Make sure you set it to Master.

I had the very same problem

Hi angkor, had that same problem. I suspect Dell gave the wrong Windows recovery disk to a bunch of XPS 600 owners. My XPS is almost 2 years old the very first time I tried to reformat it I got that error. I am no expert maybe there is another way to solve it but please do try to contact dell for the correct DISK. Now please note they sent me 3 Windows reinstalltion disks before I got the correct one. After that reinstalling windows XP worked just fine. GOOD LUCK

i got this error on 1 of my old computers well something just like it and i was trying to install windows bootup u got to click like F8 or F7 befor the setup is done loading it's because of the MB but when i did it it only got half way than crashed so good luck is all i can say lol

I have the same exact issue. I too am fixing the PC for a friend. Same issues everyoen else has had. I have XP media center origianlly installed. I called Dell support on Sunday and I am waitng for the disc. Because I am inpatient I have tried EVERYTHING to fix this. i do pc's for a living so I know what I am doing. I even used XP media center CD's from MS. I then downloaded the latest drivers from nvida's website. i got as far as safe mode. I could boot time after time in safe mode. Never normal mode. I guess I will wait for the dell disc unless anyone can offer up some help. .....

Hello from East Hampton, NY

Thank you for the information. I have been at this very same problem for days and you have saved me from spending even more time. It's a Dell issue and that is good to know as I have been trying to re-install a Media Center OS from the re-installation DVD. I will now stop and simply install XP SP3. Enough is enough.

BSOD: 0x7B during installation of Windows XP

Hi all,

Try booting into the BIOS and look for SATA operations, and switch setting to ATA, save and try again.

XPS 600 and 0x0000007B error

I have no patience to put up with Dell's tech support so, I spent a couple of days solving the delimma

Download Dell's nVidia SATA driver marked urgent - File #R105794, then unzip it.

The folder it creates has another folder inside called IDE.
Open that and you'll 2 folders: Win64 and WinXP

Inside WinXP, another folder Current has the drivers you'll need.
All together: C:\drivers\105795\IDE\WinXP\Current

Copy the files in this folder to a floppy disk and put it in your A: drive. It has to be A:\

Boot your original Media Center disk, pressing F6 for raid drivers drivers. (I find pressing it a dozen times or so will usually trigger the install program to prompt for the drivers.)

Windows install will find 2 installs on your A: drive. Install them both, and Windows install will proceed normally, you'll be able to return your XPS 600 to service. And you won't have to talk to Dell's tech line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back