Is that the end of my flashdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a flashdrive which stoped responding. When I plug it in to any USB port the red led will go on but it won't start blinking as it used to do and the "found new hardware" balloon doesn't show up.

I read the "Flash drive recovery procedures" thread and I don't care about the data on the drive as I have it all backed up on my PC. So I would gladly reformat it in order to get it running, however the computer doesn't seam to pick it up at all. I tried the HP format tool, but it will not detect the device either. I opened up the case and everything inside seams to be in place.

Any help apreciated

Depending on the brand, you can contact your manufacturer of the drive. Some are warranteed for three years. Others for 1 year. Still others for 90 days. But the manufacturer will very often send you a replacement for the cost of postage.

raybay said:
Depending on the brand, you can contact your manufacturer of the drive. Some are warranteed for three years. Others for 1 year. Still others for 90 days. But the manufacturer will very often send you a replacement for the cost of postage.
I have had it over a year now and sencerely doubt it would have any waranty at all as I have received it as a bonus from my ISP. Anyway I don't think it is even worth paying postage for a 128 MB flashdrive. I can probably buy 4 times that amount in a local retailer for 15-20$ lol
Besides I wouldn't even know who manufactured it. The only thing I know is that the chipset is suposetly fron hynix, but on their website I can't find any details about this preticular chipset any more (probably outdated as everything nowadays after more than 6 month lol)
mikescorpio81 said:
Do you see the device through Computer Management - Disk Management?
No it doesn't show up anywhere as it doesn't seam to be able to communicate with the pc at all.

thanks anyway for the try.

Like in the thread you read, boot off a live linux cd, or try it in another PC. If both those fail, your drive is dead. You have to eliminate Windows as a possible source of the problem - Windows XP (any NT based?) seems to have problems with flash drives that can be resolved outside of XP sometimes.

If the drive isn't even being picked up then it's either a chip or USB issue. If it's a chip issue then your drive is truly dead. It could also be that the drive isn't making good contact with your USB port. This can happen if the USB part is worn down. If you can get a very thin eraser, try rubbing the contacts on the thumb drive USB to see if you can clean them up. Also squeeze the end a little closer in order to force contact with the motherboard. If that doesn't work, then junk it.

Thanks guys for your help.

It indeed seems to be the end of the flashdrive.
Maybe I will remove the chipset and use it to upgrade my mp3 player. Not sure it is worth the effort though with only 128 Megs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back