Starcraft graphics messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain828

StarCraft seems to go wild on Windows 7 x64 RC1. There are lots of artifacts in the menus:

I have the latest SC patch (forgot it's number) and nVidia 182.50 x64 drivers.
Curiously, if I make a screenshot it turns out alright... so had to take these pics with my camera.

Ideas? I've had no issues on my Vista Ultimate x86...

Haha, I'm sorry Captain828. As it turns out I am a big fat liar. I've been bouncing between OSes quite a bit in the last two months. I could have *sworn* I played it on the RC last week. Must have been XP though.

I just checked it out and the menus are like that for me too. B.net seems clear as does in game graphics apart from water. Reminds me of what used to occur sometimes when I would alt+tab the game and bring it back.

:D The mystery lives on!

*Edit*

So nobody is lost: https://www.techspot.com/news/34569-windows-7-rc-1-officially-available-ready-set-go.html#comments

Neah, this is probably something that has to do with W7.

Besides, I don't have where to rollback to... those are the latest WHQL drivers.

Try running it as admin by right clicking the shortcut?

Or go into the properties of that same rightclick menu and enable compability mode with WinXP for example?

I've also tried running it in XP/Vista compatibility in addition to running it with Admin privileges. Neither worked :(. No bother to me really, the menus look like hell but the in-game graphics are okay apart from water.

I'm running my 9600gt with 182.?? drivers on XP, happens to me too, I just ignore it because it doesn't really affect my game.

I think it started happening after i got the 182.?? drivers.

It may be something else, but i'm not noticing anything in game, so i'll ignore it for now.

StarCraft seems to go wild on Windows 7 x64 RC1. There are lots of artifacts in the menus:
Its obviously not W7's fault i guess, I think it is just a fault with starcraft, kinda like how the water starts to look weird. I don't think that would be artifacting though...

Actually, reading around teh Internets seems to point out it's nVidia's x64 drivers that make this weird anomalies.
Guess I'll have to wait for a proper W7 x64 driver...

In-game, I don't have so many artifacts, just the water and Fog of War edges as others have noted.

For what it's worth, I've been playing Starcraft as recently as this evening and I don't have any similar artifacts issues. For reference I'm running a PNY Nvidia 8800 Ultra, Windows XP Home 32 bit, 182.50 driver. I have the Battle Chest version which is v1.05 and I haven't added any patches yet. For awhile I only installed Starcraft. After finishing the Terran campaign I installed the Broodwar expansion disk. I'm still playing through episode III on the first disk and haven't gotten to any Broodwar missions yet. At no time did I experience the artifacting shown in the screenshots.

I normally patch my games completely before playing them but I didn't this time. I wonder if it has something to do with one of the many patches. Which one, I have no idea.

As noted previously I'm running on a Radeon HD 4830 - I too have the battlechest. I see artifacts that are identical to Captain's before and after the latest SC patch.

In addition to trying the 9.4 drivers, I tried the Windows 7 WHQL driver released yesterday (8.612). Still have the artifacts.

I did *not* experience any artifacting on XP.

Looking at the Battle Chest box it only says Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP. So for Vista and Windows 7 one might have a problem. If changing the compatibility mode doesn't help, I suppose waiting for a better graphics driver or possibly a game patch would be the answer.

Huzaaah!! Got it working!!

Do the following:
1. create a SC shortcut (if don't have one already)
2. right-click the shortcut > Properties > Compatibilty
3. Tick 'Run in 256 colors', 'Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution' and 'Disable desktop composition'
4. Enjoy! ;)

Note:
Got this solution from here, so kudos to zZanthraXx.

I'm running Win 7 x64 build 7100 here and I tried the fix but it doesn't work (battlechest patched to 1.16.1).

I admit that I'm running it on my laptop (T9400, 4GB RAM, 3650) and haven't yet done the driverheaven mobility modder to update to the latest catalyst drivers on Win7 so it may be a driver issue in combination with a starcraft issue in combination with a Win7 issue.

When I get the chance, I'll update to the latest drivers and see if that fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back