Why are phone pads, and keyboard number pads backwards?

poertner_1274

This has always bothered me because I am used to using a phone and now I have to input numbers for work and I always use the phone keypad numbers and have to correct myself.

Just my random thought of the day.

They were designed by different people, and once a standard was set, it remained in place. Phones are the odd one out, as even calculators have the same layout as pc keyboards. Even stranger, on a phone keypad the '0' (zero) comes after '9'. Mind you phones were around long before computers so I guess its the computer designers that eventually put things right.

use a software dialer :)

btw man - you have dsl at home, sign on to AIM or IRC every once in a while, we miss you man :monkey:

Originally posted by SNGX1275
use a software dialer :)

btw man - you have dsl at home, sign on to AIM or IRC every once in a while, we miss you man :monkey:

I do, but I am just rarely up there. Trying to get the house organized is quite a pain, and I have little time for the computer anymore. Also it is harder being married to spend time away from my wife because computer is upstairs away from everything else, so she doesn't like that.

move your computer downstairs, where the wife can keep a close eye on you. Why not get the wife involved in computers, I'm sure she'll really enjoy it after a while. You can play adventure games, taking turns at solving puzzles. Just a thought.

I think once we get time and settled into the house things will change a bit. Right now we are very busy doing yardwork, and cleaning getting the hosue setup the way we want it. So once we have more time I will try to get her more involved.

Back